What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upscaling/Upsampling

gokullalwani

Hello again,
I need to do a good number of enlargements... perhaps printing at about 30"x20"...
I'm using the incremental method, 5% at a time... and like a obedient digital newbie, zero sharpening prior to attaining my desired output size... but I still find I'm losing detail...
In a previous workplace, we ran Genuine Fractals... and I can't say I was overwhelmed with its results...
Nonetheless, it was superior to Photoshop's own...
However, I find that Genuine Fractals (now Perfect Resize) is a whopping 160USD...
I don't mind spending a bit, albeit this is more than I anticipated...
So if I'm forced to spend something in that ballpark, what's the ABSOLUTE BEST UPSCALING TOOL on the market?
Thanks for taking a moment to read this!
Regards,
Gokul Lalwani

I notice alot of reviews for Genuine Fractals/Perfect Resize on the web stress on input, so for reference, I'm feeding Photoshop .NEF Nikon Camera RAW from a D90 (12MP)

Tom Mann

Guru
IMHO, currently, the best commercial program for up-rezzing is the latest version of Photo Zoom Pro. I think it's v5. It's considerably improved from v. 4.

T

gokullalwani

Steve.
Well I think I was misinformed about the trial. Some review said it limited the output size, therefore forcing you to go incremental there too. Nonetheless, this should be an ongoing task for me henceforth at my new job, so I'm going to need something more long term.

JohnD
I've already looked into that infact. But not only will I have to pay for CC, when I only just purchased CS5 earlier this year, I'll also have to spend on a PC upgrade. I've also noticed some threads where CC users too ask for a 3rd party upscaling tool.

Tom Mann
Thank you, looking for a review or two.

gokullalwani

Hello again, Tom, and any others that might be interested.

I can't say I was entirely sold on the idea of Photo Zoom, nonetheless, there was some urgency and I opted for Photo Zoom CLASSIC, a package they claim is suited to a photographer. So far so good, superior to CS5 inbuilt indeed. And it set me back about 90USD as compared with Genuine Fractals at 160USD or PhotoZoomPro at 230USD.

I am fairly pleased. Thank you all for your input.