What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

After Effects Recommended Specs

LiamHD

Banned
Hello, I am getting sick of my slow windows laptop and seen that lot of designers use Apple products. I already have an iPhone so it would be handy to have an apple desktop. Anyway the point is will a base spec Mac Mini be able to run photoshop and After Effects with not much lag.

Hoogle

Guru
Photoshop yes, After effects will probably be slow as hell. Depending on how low spec the base system is (generation wise)

Quadcore with 6 gbs of ram and semi decent Graphics and tou will be fine on a mac pc wise Maybe 6 gb of ram depending on your OS.

There really isnt a lot of difference between mac and Pc these days except 1 thing the price of decent spec mac is double or triple the proce of exactly the same hardware.

Standard i7 4770k 16 GBs of kingston hyper x ram 120 Gb kingston hyper x ssd Nvidia GTX 780 twin frozr Graphics card 4 TB hard drive Asus Z87 pro mainboard corsair 850 w psu Corsair H100 cooling Blu ray writer cost me £1300 which is around $1800 A mac equivalent would have been $3000 +

and for information my computer from turning on to Windows 8 Desktop boot up time is around 8 seconds photoshop takes around 1.5 seconds to load up and initialise (I have a lot of plugins) same for After effects I dont render within after effects I use media encoder as it is faster and more efficient.

Go Custom build or you will be dissapointed If you have a decent budget then go mac, It wont particularly perform any better but it does look pretty and if you are prone to viruses on windows it may be safer for you.

LiamHD

Banned
Photoshop yes, After effects will probably be slow as hell. Depending on how low spec the base system is (generation wise)

Quadcore with 6 gbs of ram and semi decent Graphics and tou will be fine on a mac pc wise Maybe 6 gb of ram depending on your OS.

There really isnt a lot of difference between mac and Pc these days except 1 thing the price of decent spec mac is double or triple the proce of exactly the same hardware.

Standard i7 4770k 16 GBs of kingston hyper x ram 120 Gb kingston hyper x ssd Nvidia GTX 780 twin frozr Graphics card 4 TB hard drive Asus Z87 pro mainboard corsair 850 w psu Corsair H100 cooling Blu ray writer cost me £1300 which is around $1800 A mac equivalent would have been $3000 +

and for information my computer from turning on to Windows 8 Desktop boot up time is around 8 seconds photoshop takes around 1.5 seconds to load up and initialise (I have a lot of plugins) same for After effects I dont render within after effects I use media encoder as it is faster and more efficient.

Go Custom build or you will be dissapointed If you have a decent budget then go mac, It wont particularly perform any better but it does look pretty and if you are prone to viruses on windows it may be safer for you.

Thanks

LiamHD

Banned

How is this

ProcessorIntel Core i5-4670 Haswell Quad Core 3.4GHz, 3.8GHz Turbo, 1200MHz GPU
MotherboardGigabyte 8 series motherboard with
Intel H87 Express Chipset
Memory8 GB DDR3 1600MHZ Corsair Vengeance
Memory MaxSupports up to 16 GB DDR3 memory
Video GraphicsIntel HD4600 Graphics
Hard Drive120GB SSD SATA III 6Gb/s
Multimedia DriveNo DVD Drive Option
Network CardDual Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN
BluetoothBluetooth 4.0
SoundHigh Definition Audio 7.1-channel
Power Supply700W Silent Power supply
CaseBitfenix Phenom Cube case - White
External Ports
1 x PS/2 keyboard/mouse port2 x HDMI ports2 x antenna connectors1 x DVI-I port6 x USB 3.0/2.0 ports2 x USB 2.0/1.1 ports2 x RJ-45 ports1 x optical S/PDIF Out connector5 x audio jacks
Mac OS Mavericks

besmirched

Power User
How is this

ProcessorIntel Core i5-4670 Haswell Quad Core 3.4GHz, 3.8GHz Turbo, 1200MHz GPU
MotherboardGigabyte 8 series motherboard with
Intel H87 Express Chipset
Memory8 GB DDR3 1600MHZ Corsair Vengeance
Memory MaxSupports up to 16 GB DDR3 memory
Video GraphicsIntel HD4600 Graphics
Hard Drive120GB SSD SATA III 6Gb/s
Multimedia DriveNo DVD Drive Option
Network CardDual Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN
BluetoothBluetooth 4.0
SoundHigh Definition Audio 7.1-channel
Power Supply700W Silent Power supply
CaseBitfenix Phenom Cube case - White
External Ports
1 x PS/2 keyboard/mouse port2 x HDMI ports2 x antenna connectors1 x DVI-I port6 x USB 3.0/2.0 ports2 x USB 2.0/1.1 ports2 x RJ-45 ports1 x optical S/PDIF Out connector5 x audio jacks
Mac OS Mavericks

That is ok for general computing.

Photoshop and AE would benefit from a dedicated graphics card. AE gobbles up ram like no tomorrow, 8gb of ram would be a bit light and if you are into HD like I'm guessing you are then it won't be enough. The bad thing about that mobo is 16gb max which leaves no room for upgrading down the road. If you are just playing with AE and PS then that computer is ok but if want to get serious then you should be looking for a better computer, imo.

hd4600 vs (low end gtx 650) http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/inde...esktop-vs-geforce-gtx-650-evga-sc-2gb-edition

LiamHD

Banned
Just thought I would update this thread incase anyone was looking for similar advice. I ended up buying a 2008 Mac Pro and I am currently upgrading it to get it to the standard I want. The MP is more than adequate for me right now and has definitely been one of my best purchases of all time :)

iPhone 5 iOS 7