What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

After Effects Vignette at end of movie

steveeyes

I'm such a newbie to After Effects that I'm embarrassed to ask a question that is probably very basic, but here goes.

I want to add a Vignette and animate it at the end of my movie. However no matter what i do, the Vignette is added to the ENTIRE movie.

Here are the steps I took.

1. Open AE and import movie (movie duration is about 3 minutes).

2. Created new comp for the movie I imported.

3. I drag the timeline head to the place in the movie I want to start the Vignette.

4. I create a solid layer -- set the color to black -- and make it the same size as the Comp

5. Click the shape icon - select the Ellipse shape -- double click to add it to the movie

6. For Mask 1 layer, I select Subtract to create the Vignette.

7. I open the mask properties and change feathering, opacity, etc.

8. Next I press the stop watch for Mask Expansion to start the animation

9. I move the timeline head to the end of the movie (this is where I want the animation to end)

10. I slide the Mask Expansion properties until the Vignette is completely closed.

That's it.

It works, the problem is the Vignette was added for the ENTIRE movie. I thought if I moved the Timeline head to the position in the movie where I wanted to add the Vignette, it would be added starting at that point (see step 3 above), but that is not the case.

I tried other things but if I list everything I tried this post will be a mile long.

So how do I start the vignette in the place I want it to start in the movie instead of it being created for the entire movie.

Thank You