What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

After Effects How to fix choppy/wavy video using After Effects?

Aesthete18

Here's the video, just in case my explanation doesn't do justice, https://shou.tv/v/vcxbwto (You can rotate video on top right corner)

Some details on the video:

The video on the site is recorded at 2mbps bitrate and 720p resolution. The max is 16mbps bitrate and 1080p resolution. Both have the same issues

The problem:

When the character is walking, the video seems to be wavy, you can see the screen is kinda moving to the right. It's really hard to watch and hurts the eyes after awhile. I'm not sure if this has to do with bitrate or anything but I doubt it as a friend of mine did it in 8mbps without any issues, his video was pretty smooth.

What I'd like to know is, can it be fixed in AE? A friend of mine has AE CS4 but he doesn't know much about it. I'd be willing to learn, if you'd point me in the right direction, I can use his PC to edit.

Keep in mind, I've only just seen the interface of AE and have no idea how anything works.

MrToM

Guru
What I'd like to know is, can it be fixed in AE?
I would say.....No.

I wasn't prepared to sit through 20 mins of you coughing and sniffing so based on the bit I saw I wouldn't think any PP could 'fix' it.

In short, you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Regards.
MrTom.

Aesthete18

I would say.....No.

I wasn't prepared to sit through 20 mins of you coughing and sniffing so based on the bit I saw I wouldn't think any PP could 'fix' it.

In short, you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Regards.
MrTom.

There's no need to be harsh, I was recovering from a flu and I posted that video just to demonstrate the issue. I wasn't expecting you to watch 20 minutes, a mere 10 seconds of movement would have told you the problem.

Instead of trying to be smart with an idiom, you could have at least filled me in on what the issue is. Like I said, another person used the same program to record and got smooth quality. So your little saying there kind of makes no sense.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
There's no need to be harsh, I was recovering from a flu and I posted that video just to demonstrate the issue. I wasn't expecting you to watch 20 minutes, a mere 10 seconds of movement would have told you the problem.

Instead of trying to be smart with an idiom, you could have at least filled me in on what the issue is. Like I said, another person used the same program to record and got smooth quality. So your little saying there kind of makes no sense.
@Aesthete18 .... easy now.

Despite MrTom's gruffy internet persona ( :cheesygrin: ), he's quite helpful and amiably cool as a guinea pig undergoing a testosterone test.

I do have to admit, hadn't you posted your explanation for all the extra sound effects, this video would have been viewed as bad taste by others most especially the grumpy old farts group members of PSG....... (just injecting humour to an otherwise volatile situation)......

But all's clear and good.... shake hands guys.

As for your problem, I have nothing to say as I'm not familiar with the workings on how this game development animation video was created.

But there are others here familiar with this who may offer some insights. Just hang on.......

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
I didn't try downloading the video. Does it behave this way in your cpu's default viewer.

I'm under some impression the site may be causing it....

unless I'm wrong.

MrToM

Guru
Sorry Aesthete18, sometimes I push the limits of my warped sense of humour and it doesn't always carry well.
This, was obviously one of those times....my apologies.

So....to the problem.

To me it looks as if your hardware/software set-up just isn't up to the job.
Screen captures, with sound, are recorded in the order Video first, Audio second.
If your hardware/software set-up isn't capable of processing the Audio data quick enough then recording the Video data starts to 'lag'.

The 'wave' as you call it looks to me like this 'lag'.

This is not to say that you don't have enough power for the job but maybe you're just not using it efficiently enough.

Tell us your workflow, system specs, software used, settings used, etc etc....the more info you can supply the better answer you'll get.

(Otherwise some jerk-off will just waffle on about a sow's ear or something.)

Regards.
MrTom.

Aesthete18

@Aesthete18 .... easy now.

Despite MrTom's gruffy internet persona ( :cheesygrin: ), he's quite helpful and amiably cool as a guinea pig undergoing a testosterone test.

I do have to admit, hadn't you posted your explanation for all the extra sound effects, this video would have been viewed as bad taste by others most especially the grumpy old farts group members of PSG....... (just injecting humour to an otherwise volatile situation)......

But all's clear and good.... shake hands guys.

As for your problem, I have nothing to say as I'm not familiar with the workings on how this game development animation video was created.

But there are others here familiar with this who may offer some insights. Just hang on.......

It's okay, sometimes humour doesn't translate as well in writing, MrTom has explained he meant no harm, so it's all good.

I understand the video could be seen as self promotion but I don't plan to upload anymore on that site as it only allows upload through live streaming.

Yes, the video is still the same on my PC. You can either record or stream through the app. I recorded one with full specs and used VLC on my PC to view it but it's the same, it's not the site.

Sorry Aesthete18, sometimes I push the limits of my warped sense of humour and it doesn't always carry well.
This, was obviously one of those times....my apologies.

So....to the problem.

To me it looks as if your hardware/software set-up just isn't up to the job.
Screen captures, with sound, are recorded in the order Video first, Audio second.
If your hardware/software set-up isn't capable of processing the Audio data quick enough then recording the Video data starts to 'lag'.

The 'wave' as you call it looks to me like this 'lag'.

This is not to say that you don't have enough power for the job but maybe you're just not using it efficiently enough.

Tell us your workflow, system specs, software used, settings used, etc etc....the more info you can supply the better answer you'll get.

(Otherwise some jerk-off will just waffle on about a sow's ear or something.)

Regards.
MrTom.

No problem.

I think you've hit the nail in the head here. It could be due to the audio because the other guys who recorded it, don't have audio in their gameplay which would explain why it's smoother.

So basically, this all takes place on the iPad, I'm using iPad 4. The app is called Shou and the game is called Fates Forever. The app allows you to record or stream the gameplay. The video you saw is the streamed version but I'll most likely be recording from now on and posting on Youtube instead. The picture below is the settings for recording, it allows mp4/MOV format, both with same outcomes. I've tried other resolutions and bitrates as well but to no avail. If there's anything you can think of that will make the quality better, e.g. removing the audio (not sure how to do that either), please let me know. The average gameplay is about 20 - 30 minutes so with that quality I can't really upload it as it's really annoying to me so I can't expect others to watch it either.

.IMG_0600.PNG

MrToM

Guru
Hmmmm......well an iPad is not the best hardware for this type of thing but I guess it has been done.....somehow.

I don't know how much control you have over those settings but I'd suggest this:

Format = mp4.
This was developed by Apple as a high compression yet high quality container/codec. I'd recommend it 100%.

Resolution = 720P.
This is a bit confusing as video doesn't have 'resolution'. What (hopefully) this means is the dimensions of the recording area....recording @ 1280 x 720 px.
These dimensions have a friendly name of HD....(likewise 640 x 480 is called VGA), which has also been [confusingly] adopted to mean 'High Definition' but this relates more to the Input (recording) side rather than output (Viewing) side....digital output has always been 'High Definition'....VGA is still 'High Definition' regardless of it being of smaller dimensions.

These dimensions in my opinion are the best at the moment, its easier to record and nowadays you can almost guarantee that it will be viewed on a device with at least 1280 x 720px.

Bitrate = (lowest to highest).
This is a tricky one as the 'bitrate' is reliant on so many things.
If there is an option to use VBR (Variable Bit Rate) then try that.....this will use the best bitrate possible per millisecond of recording for each millisecond of data.

If not then start low and progressively turn it up......you'll hit the 'sweet spot' at some point.

CBR (Constant Bit Rate) means that the same amount of processing time is given to each Video / Audio sample. This is fine if you have constant data but when you have video such as your's, (with possible intermittent audio like narration), it may take longer to save the data than the bit rate allows....this means it gets 'terminated' prematurely and the result is loss of data.

On the other hand it may take considerably less time to save the data than the bit rate allows, meaning it literally is a waste of processing time.

Also try it with no audio and see if that helps......even high-end systems sometimes have difficulty recording both audio and video at the same time so an iPad doesn't really stand a chance.....its not what it was designed for despite it having the option.

The best solution of course is to ditch the iPad and just use a normal Win / Mac PC. They are better equiped to do this type of work.

Regards.
MrTom.

Aesthete18

Hmmmm......well an iPad is not the best hardware for this type of thing but I guess it has been done.....somehow.

I don't know how much control you have over those settings but I'd suggest this:

Format = mp4.
This was developed by Apple as a high compression yet high quality container/codec. I'd recommend it 100%.

Resolution = 720P.
This is a bit confusing as video doesn't have 'resolution'. What (hopefully) this means is the dimensions of the recording area....recording @ 1280 x 720 px.
These dimensions have a friendly name of HD....(likewise 640 x 480 is called VGA), which has also been [confusingly] adopted to mean 'High Definition' but this relates more to the Input (recording) side rather than output (Viewing) side....digital output has always been 'High Definition'....VGA is still 'High Definition' regardless of it being of smaller dimensions.

These dimensions in my opinion are the best at the moment, its easier to record and nowadays you can almost guarantee that it will be viewed on a device with at least 1280 x 720px.

Bitrate = (lowest to highest).
This is a tricky one as the 'bitrate' is reliant on so many things.
If there is an option to use VBR (Variable Bit Rate) then try that.....this will use the best bitrate possible per millisecond of recording for each millisecond of data.

If not then start low and progressively turn it up......you'll hit the 'sweet spot' at some point.

CBR (Constant Bit Rate) means that the same amount of processing time is given to each Video / Audio sample. This is fine if you have constant data but when you have video such as your's, (with possible intermittent audio like narration), it may take longer to save the data than the bit rate allows....this means it gets 'terminated' prematurely and the result is loss of data.

On the other hand it may take considerably less time to save the data than the bit rate allows, meaning it literally is a waste of processing time.

Also try it with no audio and see if that helps......even high-end systems sometimes have difficulty recording both audio and video at the same time so an iPad doesn't really stand a chance.....its not what it was designed for despite it having the option.

The best solution of course is to ditch the iPad and just use a normal Win / Mac PC. They are better equiped to do this type of work.

Regards.
MrTom.

Hey thanks for the thorough explanation! very informative. I will try everything you suggested.

Unfortunately the game is only available on iPad. Not sure if there are softwares that can record iPad if plugged into PC, but I'll do some research.

Thank you again for the tips.