What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Automatic intermediate frames

Mulonas

Hello,

I'm new to forums, so I'll a courtesy introduction here too
A few months ago me and a friend of mine started working on a little animation project, having absolutely no experience in animation to speak of. Ultimately our goal is to create a disney-style animation.

Looking around on the webs, we found that people use different strategies, software and approaches to animating, we ourselves chose to work with Adobe Flash CS5.5. To match the 'vividness' of disney-style animation, I started drawing frame by frame, which really does create wonderful results.

Despite the satisfactory results, there's always a bit of a problem with drawing frame by frame: you can't possibly draw ~30 frames/second. This means you have to lower the amount of keyframes you draw in order to keep things managable, which is fine.

Such a compromise results sometimes in a stuttery animation. Is there anyway to have the computer draw intermediate frames between keyframes without using the shape/movion tweens? As far as I know, these tools are entirely unfit for complex shapes and objects. I've added an image containing two keyframes which could, for example, be used for such a process. As you can see, the difference between two keyframes is limited in this example, but it may be bigger in other examples.
Interpolation.png

Paul

Former Member
I don't know of any, i think you may be looking at specific animation software.
This is as you said choppy, but that's what you get from two images slightly off then joined as one in gif form.
ani.gif

Mulonas

Joining the two keyframes together sequentially is of course not a problem with Flash, but
I'm looking for a computerized method which could more or less interpolate between the two
example pictures and then create an intermediate. I found shape tweening and such is really unfit for
anything but simple shapes and objects.

Any thoughts?

chrisix

Guru
how about if you don't do it for the whole face, but onlyshape tween the eyes, head movement, and mouth seperately?

Mulonas

That is a good idea, and I believe it's essentially what most people use. But since so many different parts are moving and changing shape, I was kind of reluctant to use that method myself, especially since I can imagine it has mixed results with stuff like eyes etc.

I've read some stuff about 'motion pixel' in after-effects, does anyone have good experience with that?