What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Illustrator Moving a layer to another document?

fword

What am I doing wrong?

I have an image I inked and want to take that image and add it to another project Im working on. If I select tool move it, it simply makes a blank layer. Any way to open a saved file with my current work up?

ibclare

Queen Bee
1) do you have multiple layers and is one an adjustment layer? are you sure you're moving an image layer? can't think why it wouldn't work otherwise.

2) what do you mean by "Any way to open a saved file with my current work up?"

fword

They are both separate projects. I saved the final work of the one I need added but I don't know if its possible to throw it into my other work. If that makes any sense. Is this more of a photoshop project?

ibclare

Queen Bee
Ugh, I am so sorry. I didn't notice this was in the AI section as I just found it in new posts. I just don't use AI enough to answer your questions. I just use it one doc at a time to make something to use in another program, usually PS. It being Adobe, I imagine the file options are similar. So my answer below is for Photoshop. Maybe someone else can help out . . . or I can open AI and see ... but I don't have time tonight. Interesting that you ask if your project is meant for PS. I can't tell as I'm not sure what you're doing, but if it would work there, then maybe so.

They are both separate projects. I saved the final work of the one I need added but I don't know if its possible to throw it into my other work.

Still confused here. I will answer what I think you're asking . . .

a couple ways:

At anytime in Photoshop, you can have multiple documents open. If you saved and closed and now have a different doc open, open the saved one again. If you want to bring over all the layers, you can move them one at a time. If you can't get the move tool to work for you for whatever reason, use copy and paste. First select all, ctl/cmd +A, then select the layer and copy. Go over to the other document and paste.

There is also a Place command under the file menu. when your doc is open go to file>place, pick your desired file and once it appears, hit enter. It will place a flattened version of a multi-layer psd, like if it were saved as a jpeg. That way you don't even have to open the saved doc, just place.

Last edited:
Don't know if this will help, but I transfer stuff from Ai to Ps all the time.

I usually select the object or objects in Ai (SHIFT+click for multiple objects), hit CTL+C to copy, go to my Ps file, hit CTL+V to past, and choose smart object when the option box pops up.

It should copy to Ai with a bounding box so you can move/resize as needed.

Let me know if that helps.

Agent