What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Illustrator convert image (jpeg, bmp, png) to .eps or .ai with transparent background

4-n-zics

I need a bit of help. I have a couple of black and white images (logos) that I need to convert to either .eps or .ai with transparent backgrounds to use for computer aided etching into metal. To top it off, I don't have any experience using Illustrator. I do have access to Photoshop CS6 and Illustrator CS6. What is the best way for someone with zero Illustrator experience to do this?

Sounds like you might want to use image trace in illustrator

Computer aided etching into metal...with a laser?
I need a bit of help. I have a couple of black and white images (logos) that I need to convert to either .eps or .ai with transparent backgrounds to use for computer aided etching into metal. To top it off, I don't have any experience using Illustrator. I do have access to Photoshop CS6 and Illustrator CS6. What is the best way for someone with zero Illustrator experience to do this?

In PS... delete the image's backgrond. use pen tool if you have to in order to get a clean selection.... save as a no background gif or png

OR

Export as AI format

In illustrator, image trace there is an ignore white box, check it but I forget where it is I read about it I've never used it.

Better to be at par then below par......... come on up join the crowd:rofl:

Under the advanced section in Image trace:

Attachments

• ScreenShot001.jpg
    ScreenShot001.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 2

I just saw this New Site. It will Convert Your Image to Vector Free for at least 2 times. Not Paths, but Vector EPS or SVG.

http://vectormagic.com/home

If you're workspaces set to show your grid then you should be able to see it is your grid set to white or colored squares?

If you're workspaces set to show your grid then you should be able to see it is your grid set to white or colored squares?
Well, I turned on the grid and it looks like the grid is set to white squares (the squares are all white), but I don't see any way to tell if the background is actually transprent. Like I said, I have zero experience using Illustrator. If I could just use a .png with transparent background it would be easy and done, but it needs to be in .ai or .eps.

Ok.. I've been out of town for the last few weeks and wasn't able to work on this any or check this forum.

I am still confused about how to tell if my file has a transparent background. Even when I check ignore white the background still shows up as white instead of transparent (I'm use to the checker board background in Photoshop).

Sorry for the multiposting, but I don't see that I can edit my last post.

I turned on grids and see a white grid lines over the gray workspace, but the background of my image still shows up as white with gray grid lines.

Alright.. I believe that I have it working. I was a bit confused that the workspace seems to stay white even if ignore white is checked. To test the transparency, I made a new workspace and drew some red lines on it. I placed the file, of which I wanted the transparent background, on top of the red lines and the red lines showed through. Is this an accurate indication that the background is transparent?

You could have just created a new layer and placed that underneath the layer with your logo, then draw something on the new layer, instead of making a new work space.

This has been really frustrating to read, as if you'd have spent three hours watching some beginners tutorials for illustrator on youtube, you would know how to tell whether the image has transparency. If you can see the lines for the grid where white background used to be, it is now transparent.
View attachment 32328

Back