What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Illustrator Weird Illustrator glitch

siner23

So I am having this weird graphical bug in Illustrator. Whenever I drag an object, portions of my work area turn grey and obscure everything else. This "grey area" moves with the cursor and clears itself sometimes when I drop the object i'm dragging. It always goes away however when I zoom in or out. (See attached screenshots)illus_screenglitch_1.jpgillus_screenglitch_2.jpg

Specs:
Illustrator CS6
Windows 7 64bit
Intel i7 920 2.63ghz
6gb Ram

I have no idea what this could be, any help is Greatly appreciated!

iDad

Guru
Ram issues maybe?

Electric Keet

I created an account purely so I could reply, since this is apparently a vanishingly rare issue and I managed to find a workaround. Don't know if you're still having the issue, but for anyone else out there dealing with it....

This glitch popped up on my laptop, a Surface Pro, running the same version of Illustrator but in Windows 8.1 x64 (don't laugh, it's paid for). Some exhaustive testing eliminated the following causes:
* insufficient or malfunctioning RAM
* anything related to rendering that could be frobbed in AIPrefs
* random voodoo AIPrefs corruption ("deleting" it didn't help)

I did a few things to see if maybe it had to do with my video driver – the only things worse than Intel's integrated video processors are the drivers for them – but there's only so far one can test that. Exasperated, I used "one weird trick" that I now recommend with the greatest of hesitation and disappointment:

Install and use the 32-bit version of Illustrator instead.

The only guess I could possibly make is that there's something about the interaction between the 64-bit Illustrator and the two-bit Intel video drivers that's causing the redraw rectangle to become a wreck and a tangle. I still see selection nodes flicker sometimes as though the redraw's knocking them out the same way it did the whole canvas before, but they come right back and the canvas behind is never corrupted.

Now that I think about it, I don't recall seeing the problem until a recent video driver "update".... For once, I might have to blame Intel instead of Adobe. But only this once, aye? Hope this helps.

odbal

I know this issue is years old, but I created an account so I could post the solution to hopefully prevent anyone else from spending hours searching for an answer to this apparently rare issue. Like others, I updated my graphics hardware, checked my RAM, and stopped just short of doing a full reinstall. Then I found the answer was quite simple.

Edit → Preferences → Smart Guides... → Uncheck "Measurement Labels"

Donezo. Hopefully that saves somebody a bit of time.