What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Illustrator Illustrator help on converting text to the final outline state for laser cutting

Jamie JR

I am in the beginning stages of learning this program and seem to get stuck at this point. After rasterizing group of text and then doing the next steps before cutting, the text disappears. Anybody know this step?

Jamie JR

Because we are creating a "one unit" piece to have offset paths around the outside to form a big saying. This is the first inner layer of the saying, with all the letters connected.

If select the text you have done, go to Object/Expand, and it will become paths that you can offset. I never rasterize anything in Illustrator when I'm doing logos or text.
jt9dh2xj.png

Last edited:

MadGutts

Hi Jamie,

I have to do this for my CNC and other cutters...

Quickest and easiest way id to type your text, then as hawkeye says click the "type" menu then "Create outlines" this will convert the text to paths, but if the text intersects then you will need to use the pathfinder tool - i keep the path finder toolbox on the sidebar... then select the "Add to shape area" - now on a pc you hold the ALT key while clicking this which will give you a simplified path ready to cut... now if you have the need, this is where you want to off sett the path, but once you do, remember to to select all the paths and again apply the pathfinder to give a single cutting path...

Hope this is helpful :)

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Lately I have been creating a ton of small shapes that are monograms from acrylic to cut with my laser. I like doing the designs in AI but I do my final cuts from Corel Draw. It would work with AI but I am set in my ways. Here is what I do.
1. Create the type, 2. after selecting,Ctrl+Shift+o converts to outlines, 3.Pathfinder make 1 path, 4. Object,Path,Offset Path x whatever I need for the piece. I delete the original and use the thickened, heavier piece.(helps keep them from breaking) 5. I add eyelets for findings etc using the pathfinder tool with 1/8" ellipses with a 1/16" hole for the finding to go through. Sometimes I will have 50 different monograms in several different colors and 3 sizes. I put the lot of them on an artboard the size of my laser table with color fills. I export the file as a PDF into Corel. There, I make sure my lines are all "hairline" weight and separate into layers by color. Then we cut them a color at a time.
The AI tools make this a fairly quick process, faster and easier than Corel, as I now have done it in both programs. Corel, though, is better at handling the cutting process imho.