What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Illustrator Deleting paths

GR1P

Hey guys, I'm pretty new with Illustrator, and I'm trying to figure out how to delete a path, specifically the box surrounding the image.

I'm not sure if this is the correct way to convert an image to a path, but I'm trying to convert a color image to black and white.

I open the image, the go to Image Trace window and select Trace, then Expand in the toolbar. The image is traced, but I can't figure out how to delete the box surrounding the rest of the image.

I usually hit up YouTube, but I can't find any help there either.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    248.3 KB · Views: 1
Hi GR1P.
I'm a bit confused here. First of all the box is not a path, it's a bounding box . It appears that the image your showing is a PNG file.
To convert an image to black and white, I would suggest doing that in Photoshop first. Then bring it into AI to trace. When I trace an image, I pull down the Trace panel , click on Advanced and check Ignore White. After tracing, you can expand the appearance and that makes the anchors editable with the Direct Selection tool. Also you may want to Simplify under Object/Path to reduce the number of anchors you have.

Okay, in that case I want to get rid of the bounding box and keep the image in the center. (I don't know all the terminology.)

I like the black and white image Illustrator produces better than what the Threshold in Photoshop produces, so I was hoping to keep using the black and white setting in Illustrator

Actually, I'm going to transfer the completed image to GreatCut and cut it out on vinyl, but do you know if the bounding box will be cut as well? I guess that's the only thing I'm worried about. The "Ignore white" trick did exactly what I needed to do by getting rid of the white background in the bounding box

you need to select the the white point point selection tool then select the box to delete it. However as you have used image trace you may find your image goes funky if you delete it as the inner paths will be relying on that bounding box which will in fact be a white filled square with the black elements subtracting from the path.

You will probably need to expand it first selectjust the black paths and copy it into a new document.

If your going to cut this, I suggest saving it as a PDF and then bring it into your cutting software. You need the vector paths to cut it. I run a laser and I always save as a PDF which retains all the data and you will probably find that it will play better with Great Cut than an Ai file.
If you save your trace result as a PDF there won't be a bounding box. Why am I seeing the file shown as a Png file on your screenshot? Did you export it and then bring it back into the document?
By the way, using Threshold in Photoshop to change to black and white is not the way it is done.
Check this http://www.photoshopessentials.com/photo-editing/black-and-white/black-and-white-intro/

Edit: I looked at the Great Cut manual. If I understand it correctly, Great Cut when installed appears as an item under Export in AI. Looks as if Great Cut handles the conversion, so you shouldn't have any issues with a bounding box cutting, as GC will produce what is needed for it's process.

Actually, I'm going to transfer the completed image to GreatCut and cut it out on vinyl, but do you know if the bounding box will be cut as well? I guess that's the only thing I'm worried about. The "Ignore white" trick did exactly what I needed to do by getting rid of the white background in the bounding box

Last edited:

Back