What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Illustrator Creating a new path directly above selected path in layers.

wallflowerface

Hi,

I'm a long-time Photoshop user who has moderately been using Illustrator for the past few years and I'm still working out a few things.

I work in layers mostly. I can't really imagine how to work without organized layers like in Photoshop. I've noticed that when I'm working in Illustrator in a layer that has many paths, and I click on a path in the bottom to select it, and then I click the pen tool to draw a new path, that new path ALWAYS jumps to the very top of that layer which isn't where I want it.

This gets really annoying because I have to scroll all the way to the top of the layer and drag my path all the way back down to where I actually want it to be (which can take so long with many paths).

I was wondering if anyone knows a fix for this, or even just some advice to make this less tedious for me?

Thanks in advance!

wallflowerface

I know of that feature as well, but then wouldn't it send it all the way to the bottom of the layer? In which case, it could be the same situation - I'd have to find it and bring it back to where I want it. :(

hawkeye

Guru
Use the shortcut ctr+[ to send it backward until you have it where you want it. (or ctrl+] for forward)

hawkeye

Guru
By the way, if you want the new layer right under the active layer, use the draw behind function.

Yonov

1. Send to back your new object
2. Shift+click target object (to sellect both)
3. Group, ungroup
4. Your new object is just behind target
5. Shift+click target (to desellect)
6. Send forward new object
7. Enjoy