What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Illustrator Paint effect

Juc1

Hi all,

Any ideas please how I can get a paint effect something like the attached?

Thanks...

alred.jpg

Paul

Former Member
Coloured textures on three layers, three different sized square shapes with varying textures applied and colours added maybe?

Juc1

Coloured textures on three layers, three different sized square shapes with varying textures applied and colours added maybe?
@ Paul ok thanks. I am playing around with this stuff. The watercolor effect does not seem to work for me so far but anyway I will probably come back to this thread. :)

Thanks...

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Based from the look of it, this could have been created the old fashion way - by hand.

It could be possible to approximate the look in PS using select textures in 3 layers with the 2 top most layers set with color adjustment layers and at different layer modes and opacity.

Juc1

Based from the look of it, this could have been created the old fashion way - by hand.

Yes it was - so my question is how to replicate that paint effect.

It could be possible to approximate the look in PS using select textures in 3 layers with the 2 top most layers set with color adjustment layers and at different layer modes and opacity.

But I want to print it - does that mean that AI would be better than PS?

Thanks...

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
I was speaking in Photoshop terms. And would use Photoshop if I were to create something like this.

Tho AI is vector based it may be possible to do this. But I don't use AI that often and not to that extent to create something like this so I can't speak much on it.

There are those here more accomplished in using Illustrator and may have an appropriate suggestion for you.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I started working on this effect but I have not quite got it figured out yet, I'm still experimenting.
I will get back with you if or when I figure it out.

Screen Shot 2014-07-17 at 10.02.46 PM.png

I know the colors are different, I wasn't trying to match them.

Juc1

I started working on this effect but I have not quite got it figured out yet, I'm still experimenting.
IamSam your orange colour seems a bit streaky but the inner square and the top and bottom of the outer rectangle look very nice.

I will get back with you if or when I figure it out.
OK please do :)

Thanks...

Paul

Former Member
You just need the correct texture then some patience while adjusting colours and lighting.
sq.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Great job Chris, matching the colors, lighting, and shapes is not that hard, it's the painted texture that so hard to re-produce. None of us have that yet.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Hope you don't mind I used your image Cris...

A grunge texture might work. As I don't have one at the moment in my machine, I used a canvass.

Not that close to your sample image but might give you something to try, Juc1.

As seen on my layers, I've got a clip group to create the box in the center. Layer 2 is at full opacity and both canvas image layers are set to multiply and lowered opacity. I moved the texture layer duplicate around to get a different look.

alredScreen Chris with texture.jpg