What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Illustrator Vector Image

Masterchief

Hi,

I was wondering if somebody could help me in making me a vector image.

I only have Photoshop CS6 installed on my PC and it appears to be very difficult to either transfer a JPG to a vector as well as make vector in Photoshop.

If somebody could help me out that would be great.

Thanks!

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Masterchief,
Problem is that a jpg is a bitmap type file and in order to convert it to a vector file, it would need to be submitted to a vector based program and traced by that program. Photoshop is NOT a vector based program. Some vector content can be produced by hand tracing with the pen tool. It would also depend greatly on the quality of the jpg as to what sort of end quality that would be achieved by vector program tracing. The sister program to PS is Adobe Illustrator that has vector capability.
Might I inquire what you intend to use the vector for?

Hi,

I was wondering if somebody could help me in making me a vector image.

I only have Photoshop CS6 installed on my PC and it appears to be very difficult to either transfer a JPG to a vector as well as make vector in Photoshop.

If somebody could help me out that would be great.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Masterchief

Hey ALB68,

Thanks for the reply.

That's what I gathered when I did my research.

I need a vector because a company I did a review for is needing one for their website.

I think I will just download a trail of Illustrator and make the vector that way.

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Your success will depend on the quality of the jpg. What was it's origin and what are the pixel dimensions? In PS, Image/Size to determine ppi and pixel dimensions.
More than likely they are asking for a vector file thinking the quality is going to be superior for saving as a png or a jpg for web content. That's how it will end up more than likely unless it is used as a PDF. Vector format is resolution independent and can be sized to practically any size without loss of quality.
Hey ALB68,

Thanks for the reply.

That's what I gathered when I did my research.

I need a vector because a company I did a review for is needing one for their website.

I think I will just download a trail of Illustrator and make the vector that way.

Last edited: