What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Illustrator Newbie Problem Cutting Shapes from Traced Images

ResidualHaunt

AIEx.jpg

Ok so I am just starting out with Illustrator and until I know how to make vectors from scratch I've been making due with the 'Image Trace' option for my logos. I do run into a problem though. If something within the image needs to be cut out to show as a transparency, just deleting the vector shape the Trace created wont give me that. The black lines I use to border my image ends up turning into a whole background shape in itself, so whatever black I delete, all the connecting black gets deleted as well. I want to know a way I can select, for instance, inside the lettering of the image above and cut out a shape to match the border around the rest of the lettering. I hope I'm making sense! I don't know any technical terms yet...The solution is probably obvious but I'm lost none-the-less. This would be a big help!

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Have you expanded the traced shapes? If not, do so. Delete then and add a stroke back to the object out of black. If you don't know how to do that, research it and learn how. Basic to using Ai.