What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Illustrator Printing - PS v AI

Juc1

Hi all,

I want to print an A4 document with text. Is AI better than PS for this?

I know that increasing or decreasing the size of an original pixel image damages the quality but suppose I prepare the document in PS at the correct size ie no increasing or decreasing the size - would the printed end result look the same as a document prepared in AI or does the fact that PS uses pixels mean that the print quality would not be as good as a document prepared in AI?

Thanks...

hawkeye

Guru
Illustrator is always better for text than Photoshop, but whether you would actually see any difference in the print is doubtful if you plan ahead in the way you stated.

Tom Mann

Guru
To add to the good info that Hawkeye gave you, if the only thing in your document is text, it won't matter one bit whether you use PS or AI, as both handle text as a vector, and both have to eventually rasterize it as the very last step before sending it to a printer.

T

Juc1

Thanks @ hawkeye and Tom Mann...

To add to the good info that Hawkeye gave you, if the only thing in your document is text, it won't matter one bit whether you use PS or AI, as both handle text as a vector...

OK so if I have a .ps file with just text and then I export that as a .pdf would the .pdf be a vector document?

...and both have to eventually rasterize it as the very last step before sending it to a printer.

So suppose I export my .ai file to a .pdf format - I think the pdf is not a raster document - so is the last step rasterizing done by the printer - and is this just printers that print as dots or all printers?

Thanks...