What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Illustrator How do I import Image Trace presets from CS5 to Illustrator CC?

Pansottin

I know how to safe and export Live Trace presets from Illustrator CS5 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzN38tNz70U).
In a few days I´ll upgrade to the newest CC Illustrator, but I cannot find information on how to import the tracing presets I saved on my desktop, to the newest Ai CC. Is it not possible? The trace tool is a bit changed, as far as I could read, but makes no sense to loose my own tracing presets or keep a CS5 copy installed, just for that.

Thank you very much for any help.
Warmest regards.

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Maybe someone else can help with this and let you know if this is possible. The Option to Edit Tracing presets is not an option in Ai CC 2014. I looked to see if it might be possible just to drop into the Ai program Presets folder but doesn't appear to be one for Tracing. Now you can save new ones in Ai 2014 , if you don't have a huge number of them, just take your settings from your one's in CS5 and set them up and save them as new. Sorry I don't have a better answer for you.
I know how to safe and export Live Trace presets from Illustrator CS5 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzN38tNz70U).
In a few days I´ll upgrade to the newest CC Illustrator, but I cannot find information on how to import the tracing presets I saved on my desktop, to the newest Ai CC. Is it not possible? The trace tool is a bit changed, as far as I could read, but makes no sense to loose my own tracing presets or keep a CS5 copy installed, just for that.

Thank you very much for any help.
Warmest regards.

Pansottin

Hi ALB68,
thank you very much for your help.
It seems I must do my presets again (not a huge number but need for specific projects) and save when I´ve the new Ai CC .-(
Can´t understand why a good feature is missed in a newer app version!?
Do you know if there´s a correspondent preset for the CS5 Hand Drawn Sketch in Ai CC?
Thanks again.

ALB68

Adobe does change some things from time to time. Why? I haven't a clue but I don't run their business. No, I am not familiar with a Hand Drawn Sketch feature in 2014. Maybe some of our other members can answer that. Be patient, we have users in all time zones and some won't post during your awake hours.
Hi ALB68,
thank you very much for your help.
It seems I must do my presets again (not a huge number but need for specific projects) and save when I´ve the new Ai CC .-(
Can´t understand why a good feature is missed in a newer app version!?
Do you know if there´s a correspondent preset for the CS5 Hand Drawn Sketch in Ai CC?
Thanks again.

ALB68

Download the trial and form your own opinion. However, I have been using tracing applications for a long time as Corel Draw user back in the day. I find the later versions of Image Trace as Ai calls it to be pretty darn good.One has to understand that to get a good trace, you need a pretty good original image prior to tracing. I normally start out with the image I am going to trace in Photoshop and I do everything I can to improve it before I go to Ai with it. I find by using ACR to improve black lines,contrast etc helps. If I have an image that is say 72ppi, which many are, I change the size to 300ppi. Ai handles that quite well. I use the preset High Fidelity and most times I am happy with the result.Many times I don't even expand the image and then if I need to,I'll drop it back in Photoshop.
I have not used Vectormagic but some people say it is very good. However I have a perfectly good tracing program that I am already paying for via Adobe CC and Ai, and I'm not in the mood to take on another monthly charge nor spend $295 for a desktop license. I doubt that Vectormagic would interface with Photoshop either, as Adobe has made these programs to work together. I'm not sure if VM comes as plug-in or not.

Someone told me that there´s standalone applications for tracing, much better than Ai tracing tools like this one:
http://vectormagic.com/desktop

Any opinion as Mac users with it? Or with other similar applications?
Thanks.

Pansottin

Maybe you´re right.
I´m thinking about keep using Ai as a tracing tool. Just need to emulate my presets and save them again with the CC version (when I have it).
And yes I´m not in the mood for an extra cost.

Most of the times I trace my own drawings and do the cleaning work before too. Also I use 600 ppi to trace properly.

ALB68

Why don't you download the latest Ai and give it a try, it's free for 30 days. Then after that you will have to sign up with Adobe Creative Cloud to continue using it and I think the minimum just to get Photoshop and Ai is $19.95 a month. It's not sold in brick and mortar stores anymore.
Maybe you´re right.
I´m thinking about keep using Ai as a tracing tool. Just need to emulate my presets and save them again with the CC version (when I have it).
And yes I´m not in the mood for an extra cost.

Most of the times I trace my own drawings and do the cleaning work before too. Also I use 600 ppi to trace properly.

Pansottin

I hope the have the full package in a few days to work properly.
Thanks anyway for your suggestion. I guess I´ll try beforehand.

Also to see before use if the tracing tool is very different from CS5 to CS6 to CC.
Theory says it should be better; even if different, should be better .-)

Last edited:

ALB68

Your welcome..hope it works out for you
Larry