What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Illustrator Type along object edge.

Stacy

HI, Im having an issue in illustrator and was hoping someone here might have the answer.
I'll explain exactly what i'm doing as I'm think I may be getting confused between paths and objects.

I downloaded a free vector image of a tree and have it set the way I would like, I'd now like to have some words 'sitting' on the branches. If I select the tree it becomes outlined in blue with the anchors ect. Now I assumed that was the 'path'. However if I try to type along the branch using the 'Type along a Path' tool it will not allow me to and gives me the message 'You must click on a non-compound, non-masking path to create text along a path."
I've read up on non-compound and non-masking paths and can't see a way to use these to write along but i'm not sure if I'm understanding correctly.
Currently I am drawing a path freehand along the branches to give me a path to type along but my freehand skills arn't up to much :) Does anyone have any suggestions as to another approach?
Thank you in advance
Stacy

As you found out you can't put text on a compound path. But if you duplicate the object and fill in the area that makes it compound, then you can type on the path. After that it's simply a matter of placing one object over the other.

Attachments

• ScreenShot001.jpg
    ScreenShot001.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 1

Back