What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Illustrator Cutting image out of image.

chargersrool

Im so used to adobe photoshop but its getting very aggravating when you're trying to find a simple way to cut a part of an image out when it's so simple on adobe photoshop. I marked the area I want cut out with a pen but now how do i select the area my pen has selected?? illustrator01.jpg

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Be sure the shape you want to cutout is on top. Open Pathfinder, select both shapes, click Minus front in Pathfinder.

ALB68

How do you select both pictures?... Is there a way to make my pen drawing into a shape?. Heres the AI file.
View attachment 54607

chargersrool,
Please don't get me wrong here, but it is obvious that you don't have a basic knowledge of Ai. We could spend time here on this, but I suggest you go to Youtube, do a search on Adobe Illustrator basics. Gain at least a basic knowledge of the program and then go forward. After watching one of those videos and you are still having problems, then come back and try again.

chargersrool

All I want to know is how to extract a piece of the background from the pen shape I already have. I can handle the rest. Cant find a tutorial on how to do that so I thought you can help.

ALB68

All I want to know is how to extract a piece of the background from the pen shape I already have. I can handle the rest. Cant find a tutorial on how to do that so I thought you can help.

So what you want to do is for the shape to have the background as fill, not the other way around?
In that case you want to create a clipping mask. Select both the background and the shape. Then Object/Clipping Mask/Make
clipmask.PNG

Last edited:

chargersrool

Correct. Im seeing in tutorials how people have the "make selection" option. I dont. This is why I'm stuck.

ALB68

Correct. Im seeing in tutorials how people have the "make selection" option. I dont. This is why I'm stuck.
See edit above. To select both objects, click on the background, hold down the shift key and click on the other one

hawkeye

Guru
Make sure the path is on top.
Select both objects.
In the Pathfinder panel click Crop.

Attachments

• ScreenShot001.jpg
    ScreenShot001.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 0
  • ScreenShot002.jpg
    ScreenShot002.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 0

ALB68

The background he has is a bitmap, not a vector object. Does this work with bitmaps?

hawkeye

Guru
If it's an image select both, then Object-Clipping Mask-Make.

Attachments

• ScreenShot001.jpg
    ScreenShot001.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 6
  • ScreenShot002.jpg
    ScreenShot002.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited: