What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Illustrator Ready for print pdf file

mkli

Hello all
I am new in illustrator
I have created a business card with a template 88mm*55mm and now I am trying in saving in pdf in order to send to solopress.com in order to print.
But I am having problem with the pdf file as trimmed shows space on top and bottom.
I do not know if I was able to explain well.
I will send you the files mine and the one solopress is sending me.
As it was not possible to upload the files I am sending the links
1 solopress com file
http://www.designpandorabox.eu/front-card_Bleed-solopress.com.pdf
2 my file
http://www.designpandorabox.eu/front-card.ai

I will appreciate if you could assist me.
Regards
Marina

JUst looking at it quickly wow that file is huge it shouldnt need to be more than 2mb on average !!!!

first off your layers are a bit messed up with duplicates, your artwork is not going to the trim part nor have you filled in the bleed. The outer guide is where your art work should end with the inner guide being the safe area !! meaning you should not include any info between the guides but should fill it in with the primary colour of your card the 3mm bleed should also have that colour so there is no strange edges or blurry print.

Also if you zoom out you have a duplicate of your logo outside the art board. and your artwork should really be on a seperate layer so that you can easily hide it and check back with the guide/template as you have some of your artwork above and below the template layers.

Tidy it up and delete the layers not needed if you turn all the layers on this is what you get
Capture.PNG

If I was you Group your logo as a group group your background box and the low opacity images and group your contact info then cut and paste them in a clean version of your template and resize to the template and hopefully you will get a smaller file size and the correct layout.

Thank you very much for your reply. There are so many vectors as I have used the same template for front and back of the card.
I will do what you suggest but what concern me is the final product. Will it be timed on the bleed line or in the safe area?
I will send a new file shortly
Have a nice day.
Marina

JUst looking at it quickly wow that file is huge it shouldnt need to be more than 2mb on average !!!!

first off your layers are a bit messed up with duplicates, your artwork is not going to the trim part nor have you filled in the bleed. The outer guide is where your art work should end with the inner guide being the safe area !! meaning you should not include any info between the guides but should fill it in with the primary colour of your card the 3mm bleed should also have that colour so there is no strange edges or blurry print.

Also if you zoom out you have a duplicate of your logo outside the art board. and your artwork should really be on a seperate layer so that you can easily hide it and check back with the guide/template as you have some of your artwork above and below the template layers.

Tidy it up and delete the layers not needed if you turn all the layers on this is what you get
View attachment 54630

If I was you Group your logo as a group group your background box and the low opacity images and group your contact info then cut and paste them in a clean version of your template and resize to the template and hopefully you will get a smaller file size and the correct layout.

The green rectangle I have added is what is known as the safe area, anything you need to print should be in within the green Box, Anything outside of the Green box can not be guaranteed to be printed Correctly or could even be trimmed.

The red Box I have added is the line which the Cutting press will be where it should be cut. However if it is mis alligned then it can be trimmed anywhere between the red box and the Green box, Hence the reason why they give you a safe area !!

and the outer white border that is remaining should still be filled with the colour of your card.

Capture.PNG

As for layout and layer management it is down to you but what I tend to do is have an AI file named business card front and one named business card back
This helps out the printers because believe me they will not always work out which is the front or back so if your getting special printing done such as spot uv laminate then you could be dissapointed in the results and it is not easy getting a refund if you are not 100% clear.

It also makes it easier to have it broken down and easily manageable so if you need to change your number 1 day or anything then it will only take a few seconds. Every Business card design I do for a client my folder arrangement is like this
Capture.PNG

But then I am a Archival Freak that every client gets their own folder with several subfolders, Just so that if 1 day they phone up and say Hey I need this changing can you do it, I know I can.

Last edited:
Hello I am sending the new files and the pdf one.
What concern me is where that the bottom blue rectangle will be trimmed.
Will it be on the safe area or further?
http://www.designpandorabox.eu/front-card.pdf
Thanks
Marina
Thank you very much for your reply. There are so many vectors as I have used the same template for front and back of the card.
I will do what you suggest but what concern me is the final product. Will it be timed on the bleed line or in the safe area?
I will send a new file shortly
Have a nice day.
Marina

Hello did you see my reply?

What really concern is where the card will be trimmed so there will not be lot of space after the safe area.
Thanks
Marina

Last edited by a moderator:
mkli

I apologize for you wait. Our system moderates posts containing links. If in the future you submit a post containing links and it does not show up immediately, please report the post by hitting the report icon located at the bottom of any post. Thanks.

ReportIcon_01.png

I looked at your Ai file yesterday. I noticed that you did not indicate what the document bleed was supposed to be when you initially made the file. Then, when you made the PDF you instructed it to "use the document bleed" which was set to zero instead of the 3mm or so it should have been. If you do this when you start the file then the card will be trimmed properly. You have a huge amount of information in your card, but if you could use the elements you have and just rebuild the card by filling in the proper information at the outset your problem would be greatly simplified. (by the way, I design cards and layout the bleeds for commercial printing on a fairly regular basis)
printmarks.PNG

Last edited:
it is in the safe zone however there is a small chance it could be tight to the edge, you should resize the background elements so that it uses the bleed.

As for the 0mm bleed I believe that is because the bleed is part of the template and set up by the printers.

This is what should be set up initially. It can vary some of course. If the printer, sends you a template, then try and make your work to conform to his templating.
Basically what I am saying is that your current difficulties stem back to your initial setup and procedures going forward.
new doc screen.PNG
Resulting screen
bleed area.PNG

Last edited:
Hello all and thank you for all the replies.
I forgo to mention that I use a ready template from solopress.com with 3mm bleed.
Which background elements do you think I should resize as all the work is within the safe zone.
And my main question is the ready printed card will be around the shape of safe area or the trim?
If this will be the trim then the bottom rectangle will look bi and the bottom writing not propotional
I a sending the two images so you could tell me in order to be sure as the solopress is presenting me always the layout of front-card.png as the final product.
Thanks
Marina

Attachments

• front-card.png
    front-card.png
    215 KB · Views: 0
  • front-card-safe.png
    front-card-safe.png
    230.9 KB · Views: 0
Could you post the template ?

I see what you mean, as your margin is going to be different top than bottom. I would resize the center portion and move the phone numbers. Be careful that those phone numbers are inside your safe zone or they might get cut off. bleed info2.PNG

Last edited:
Thank you very much.
Yes this is my concern Ok I will move the phones further up bit the final product will be a card with an unpropotional bottom rectangle like the image I sent.
If the card will be rimed in bleed there will be no problem.
I am also sending you the template of solopress.com

Attachments

• Business Card - business_card_illustrator_template.ai
    105.4 KB · Views: 0
Marina,
I think you are making this more complicated than it is.
When I look at your new files, I do not see what is needed. You simply need to make the card graphic large enough so that when it is trimmed by 3mm on each side it ends up being the proper card size which is 3.5" (88.9mm) x 2.0" (50.8mm) . The overall size before trimming needs to be 91.9mm x 53.8mm. You need to be careful and not include any important elements in the "safe zone" as defined by the template. This is not to say this is definitely going to be cut off but just in case of a small mistake in cutting your info won't get chopped off.

If you want those margins to be the same, you need to move that blue center section up just a little bit to equalize them. I would also move the phone numbers up just a bit also to insure they don't get cut off. That's all. Send it to the printer as a PDF at 300ppi in which ever color space they require..either CMYK or RGB.

I did not get the template, it appears the link is broken.

Thank you for all your help and sorry for being a trouble but I have said before that I am using a ready made template from solopress.com that I a sending you as an attachment.
You are also saying the following "You need to be careful and not include any important elements in the "safe zone" as defined by the template."
They told me that all the important elements should be included within the safe zone.
So where exactly shall I move the letters up or down?
I have sent you the two images so you can see what I mean that if its i teamed in different part will be different product.
Sorry if I am not very clear but I am absolute beginner.
Here is my card illustrator file
Thanks one more time
Marina

Attachments

• Business Card - business_card_illustrator_template.ai
    105.4 KB · Views: 1
Thank you for all your help and sorry for being a trouble but I have said before that I am using a ready made template from solopress.com that I a sending you as an attachment.
You are also saying the following "You need to be careful and not include any important elements in the "safe zone" as defined by the template."
They told me that all the important elements should be included within the safe zone.
So where exactly shall I move the letters up or down?
I have sent you the two images so you can see what I mean that if its i teamed in different part will be different product.
Sorry if I am not very clear but I am absolute beginner.
Here is my card illustrator file
Thanks one more time
Marina
Maybe this will convey what you want to know.
I took your new card and laid it on top of the template.
I drew guidelines to show their bleed area -which is definitely cut away. Shown in red.
The Safe zone is a safe zone for THEM..not you. What they are saying is, if you put anything in it, there is a POSSIBILITY, not definite, that this could get trimmed. I think something is being lost with the language barrier.
You want that type to be up a bit from where it is. It is more than likely OK but if they trim it off and it's inside that line they won't take responsibility.
See here
card over template.PNG
Their template
template2.PNG

Last edited:
Thanks for one more time.
If I got it right is different the safe zone than the safe area?
I am sending you the latest design and I have put in front the safe area layout.
All my graphics are in the white area
http://www.designpandorabox.eu/front-card-latest.ai
I have also saved in pdf format
http://www.designpandorabox.eu/front-card-latest.pdf
how can I view how will my card looked finished?
So what do you think of thees file?
Marina

Congratulations! I think you got it. You will know what it really looks like when you get it printed.

Yes but then might be late as I will have already paid for.
Did you have the chance to check my latest file?
Thanks a milion
Regards
Marina

Congratulations! I think you got it. You will know what it really looks like when you get it printed.

Back