What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Illustrator Export of seamless vector image from Illustrator to Photoshop Elements

G-Anette

Hi

I am in fabric design/printing business and work with seamless patterns. Almost all designs I purchase are in EPS or AI, but I need them in PSD. (Both because I know that program best, but also because the company who prints our fabrics prefer Photoshop)

When I export from Illustrator to Photoshop, the images get a faded frame around the edges. Its only 1 pixle size, but since the pattern is seamless it will show when offsetting if I remove/crop it.

Does anyone know what I can do with the image in Illustrator before exporting it, to keep the image just as it is?

Hope someone can help, thanks! :)

Regards Gry-Anette, Norway.

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
Do you know about this:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/adding-transparency-effects.html
(Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and read the section titled: "Removing white box effect in documents with transparency" )

I realize this Adobe help file is for InDesign, but I'm quite sure that the above section also applies to AI.

If that isn't the problem, why don't you post a small, simple AI file that shows this problem and we'll try to figure out what's going on.

Cheers,

Tom M

G-Anette

Thank you, I will try and find the same options in Illustrator. Here's an image showing what I mean. At some images it is on all 4 edges, but on some only on two..

Faded edge.jpg

Attachments

• Faded edge.jpg
    Faded edge.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 3

G-Anette

The image is ok i Illustrator, I export it to PSD, and when I opens it in Photoshop the edges are there.

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi G-Anette
When exporting from Ai to Photoshop PSD format the vectors of Ai are rasterized and you get to chose an anti-aliasing approach. Anti-aliasing adds some transparency to the edges so that they will not look so jagged especially with non-vertical or horizontal lines. That transparency causes it to look as a 1 pixel partial transparent boundary yet typically the transparency has some affect for about a 4 pixel width (just harder to see).

If you want hard edges you need to bring the vectors into Photoshop and not rasterize. It also depends on what your printer wants. Many printers of which I am aware actually prefer CMYK and have it in PDF format so that the vectors are preserved all the way to them and never rasterized.

The transparency along the rasterized edges can be removed to look crisp pretty easily, yet for non horizontal/vertical lines will then end up looking rather jaggy.

So just tradeoffs depending on which path you want/need to take.