What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Illustrator more trouble rotating

pslane

Well, heck. Seems I always have a problem when rotating an object. This is an object from a tut I am doing. All the parts of the petal are grouped and must be rotated in order to add more petals and make a flower.
In the screenshot is the grouped object, then after rotating the objects move out of position. Is there no way to merge the objects permanently? How can I get the petal to rotate intact?

Attachments

• ill-6.jpg
    ill-6.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 16

hawkeye

Guru
Without seeing the actual file I can't tell you what the problem is. However I can say that even if objects are not grouped, if they all selected they will rotate together.

If you want to post the AI file I'll take a look at it for you later.

pslane

Okay, I'll do that. But look at the node points on the screenshot. I think the only ones that are not rotating right are the lower ones where they dip below the rest of the selected objects. So that must be part of the problem.

hawkeye

Guru
Object-Expand Appearance for each if the two problem objects. I also deleted all the empty layers.

Attachments

• flower.ai
    933.9 KB · Views: 0

pslane

Not knowing much yet about Illustrator, I had noticed the layers going blank, possible when I grouped layers. I usually go back and delete them. Can you tell me about Object-Expand Appearance?
Thanks

PSLane, you shouldn't see all those nodes on your objects if you're trying to rotate. You should have the black-arrow (selection tool) active, and see a bounding box around the object(s).

pslane

The bounding box is there, it just didn't show in the screenshot. I rotate the corner of the bounding box manually or with rotate and some objects go out of line.

Thanks.

hawkeye

Guru
You won't see a bounding box when using the rotate tool.

Attachments

• ScreenShot001.jpg
    ScreenShot001.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 1

pslane

Here's a clue to the problem. See screenshot.
The bottom group of objects is the only one not rotating correctly. See where I removed it and the rest of the grouped objects rotated nicely.

Attachments

• ill-8.jpg
    ill-8.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 7
  • ill-7.jpg
    ill-7.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 7

hawkeye

Guru
I already told you how to proceed. You used an Warp effect on the two objects not rotating correctly. Notice how the path is not aligned with the shape in the before picture.

See the screenshots, after Expand Appearance the Warp effect is no longer in the Appearance panel for that object, and the path is now aligned with the shape.

Use the help files and look up Expand Appearance for more information.

Attachments

• ScreenShot001.jpg
    ScreenShot001.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 9
  • ScreenShot002.jpg
    ScreenShot002.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

pslane

Thank you, I am going to keep this info and look it up for future projects. I did manage to get around it by taking out the group of four that was not rotating correctly, rotating the other objects as a group, then I went back and adjusted the 4 grouped objects by themselves. It looks pretty good, I think. How 'bout I post it in the gallery.

Thanks again.
pslane