What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Illustrator switching to grayscale

I'm wondering if there's a keyboard shortcut to change your file to grayscale, or something like that, because it seems to happen at random times when I'm working in Illustrator.:evil:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
There is actually.... in Photoshop but I don't see any reason Illustrator won't have it. There's no one shortcut to achieve grayscale.

It's just that I don't see how it could have happened considering you have to hit a sequence of shortcuts (3 I think). Unless you so happen to unwittingly execute the sequence at the most unexpected moments during your workflow.....

edit....

Here's the PS version .... just in case it might work in Illustrator.

Cmd+J ... Shift+Cmd+U ... Shift+Opt+C

or

Shift+Cmd+Opt+N ... Cmd+Backspace ... Shift+Opt+C

Note: The above is what I remember for Mac. I never used it on a PC as I prefer the long way to do it as it gives better results.

Last edited:
I seriously doubt I'm hitting that many keys, accidentally, in order, multiple times. When I'm changing colors and gradients, it seems to happen. No idea why. I'm already driven insane by Illustrator making it sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo difficult to add and edit gradients on objects!!!

SPWA

Power User
You could check your shortcut lists and see if one is set that is easily tapped by mistake. Something similar used to happen to me and that is how I solved the issue.

As for the gradients, maybe it's what you get used to, as I found Ps so difficult to get used to after using Illustrator for so long.

MrToM

Guru
As SPWA has suggested...check the shortcuts...

AI_keyboard_shortcuts_MT_01.jpg

There is a shortcut for 'Converting to Greyscale' and although it's not set by default it's possible it could now have a shortcut assigned to it.....unlikely but still possible.

Regards.
MrToM.

As for the gradients, maybe it's what you get used to, as I found Ps so difficult to get used to after using Illustrator for so long.

Good point. But simple things, like pulling a color from your current gradient, is so difficult - I had to google a work-around.