What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Illustrator Can you help me to figure this effect

ManishMan

Hey guys can you help me figure out how this effect was done? I know its a grunge effect but look at how uniform it looks. Also Look at the stars and the effect around it. Would really appreciate your help. Thanks alot.

shreaded.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey MM.

There's actually a lot going on here in this graphic...............much more than I think I can easily explain. But I will give you the basics.

MM said:
Also Look at the stars and the effect around it.
Not at all sure what you mean by this. Could use some more details.

You may be referring to the 3D effect or just the extra grunge around the stars............don't know.

Here are the basics.

Take a BG......
Screen Shot 2015-09-10 at 11.42.21 PM.png

Add your graphics........
Screen Shot 2015-09-10 at 11.42.43 PM.png

Place your grunge texture on the uppermost layer......
Screen Shot 2015-09-10 at 11.43.00 PM.png

Set the grunge layers blend mode to 'Multiply'....
Screen Shot 2015-09-10 at 11.43.19 PM.png

Add masking to grunge layer to remove grunge from BG...........
Screen Shot 2015-09-10 at 11.43.32 PM.png

And that's how you get the uniform grunge over the entire image.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Add the stars with a stroke...........
Screen Shot 2015-09-11 at 12.16.53 AM.png

Then place a layer below the stars and use a splatter brush to add extra grunge beneath the stars.
It will look like this (without the stars)
Screen Shot 2015-09-11 at 12.17.52 AM.png

(with the stars)
Screen Shot 2015-09-11 at 12.25.51 AM.png

Add texture to the stars by placing another (or new) grunge layer above the stars layer,
make a selection of the stars and add a layer mask to the new grunge layer so that it only shows on the stars.
Screen Shot 2015-09-11 at 12.17.30 AM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
LOL!!! I have been reminded that this is in the ILLUSTRATOR section!

SORRY! :mrgreen: I normally look but didn't notice this time! Please disregard.
ManishMan let me know if you would prefer I removed my response if it's not helpful!

ManishMan

Add the stars with a stroke...........
View attachment 58456

Then place a layer below the stars and use a splatter brush to add extra grunge beneath the stars.
It will look like this (without the stars)
View attachment 58457

(with the stars)
View attachment 58460

Add texture to the stars by placing another (or new) grunge layer above the stars layer,
make a selection of the stars and add a layer mask to the new grunge layer so that it only shows on the stars.
View attachment 58458

Thanks for you help..did you do that in Photoshop or illustrator? And also with regards to the stars I was talking about the extra grunge behind the stars to make it look like shadows or to give like a realistic effect.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
No I did this in Photoshop. Thanks for clearing up the question about what you were asking about, I appreciate that.

Unfortunately, I've yet to tackle Ai (lazy), so I'm not the one to offer you a proper answer. Again sorry for the confusion.

ManishMan

That's alrite, thanks for replying anyways. I can do this in Photoshop easily but I want to do it illustrator hence this post.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Not a problem, I completely understand.

Would you like the thread cleaned up so it's not cluttered with my mindless ramblings?

Last edited:

ManishMan

Well the thread isnt getting any replies at the moment, so I don't think it will be cluttered. lol

hawkeye

Guru
I don't know what your knowledge level is with Illustrator but to put it very simply... Create a grunge pattern on a layer above all the others and clip it to the outside diameter of the circle.