What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Illustrator Questions about Illustrator

Tony42

Hi everybody and Happy New Year,

I want to know if it's possible to select a precise area of a picture to be able to modify it without touching the rest of the picture.

rDKXKIh.png
For example, If I want to apply some filters or effects on the part with the clown but I don't want to modify the "MEANWHILE" case, I want to keep it normal.

I know it's a stupid question but I'm a real beginner with this software and I can use it just temporarily.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello Tony and welcome to PSG.

As I'm not an Ai person (yet), I can't offer much in the way of help. In Ps, you would just make a selection of the what you want to be excluded from the filter and add it to your filter layers mask.

Someone with much better advice will be along to help you out shortly.

hawkeye

Guru
Technically the answer is yes, it is possible. However, it really isn't practical IMO. It's far easier to cut out the face in Photoshop, then place it into Illustrator and Image Trace it. Place the full image on a new layer below it.

Tony42

Thanks for your reply.

Of course it isn't pratical, but because of my actual situation, I can't allow it to be a major problem.

Illustrator doesn't have a Elliptical or Rectangular Marquee Tool or some equivalent?
I was thinking that maybe the magic lasso was the solution but when I used it, it was totally useless...

Last edited:

hawkeye

Guru
Illustrator's lasso tool serves a totally different purpose than it does in Photoshop. Yes Illustrator does have marque tools, but they are not for making selections. You'd have to make a clipping mask to do what you want. The pen tool would be the best choice for accuracy.

If you image-trace the image first, you should be able to isolate the text - MEANWHILE - and move it out of the way, leaving the clown image to edit.