What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Illustrator Problems with "save for the web" and Facebook upload

giuseppe

Hi,
I've just uploaded in a Facebook page the image in the attachment.
In Illustrator the image looks perfect. When I save it for web or I upload it to Facebook, quality goes down. I know that a loss of quality is normal, but the image quality is very poor. Size is the right one, I tried to export it in all the formats (gif, jpeg, png) and make the file smaller than 100kb to prevent Facebook resizing. I aligned the text to the pixel grid, too. But quality is always poor.
It's strange because I can see a lot of Facebook pages where images are good and text looks very bright and clean.
Can you help me? Maybe there's something on my .ai file settings that I need to change?
Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• Week-05-January-26-31_fb-cover.png
    Week-05-January-26-31_fb-cover.png
    345.3 KB · Views: 1

Tom Mann

Guru
I haven't looked at this issue for quite some time, but as I recall, I think FB applies much more aggressive compression to cover photos of individuals than they do to cover photos for businesses. I also think that they superimpose that horrible black gradient on cover photos of individuals. I would appreciate it if someone who knows FB's policies better than I would confirm this ( gedstar ???).

Also, regular photos (eg which go into a FB album) can be uploaded to FB at "high quality" and always fare much better than cover photos do, so you may be including this type of photo in your comparison.

If you are have an ordinary individual account on FB, the bottom line is that FB simply is NOT the place to put your photos if you care about quality (eg, if you are a photographer). Individuals are not FB's customers -- their advertisers are their customers, so they feel free to take more liberties with our images than they take with images from businesses that advertise on FB.

Tom M

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
....... I noticed the example you showed as not the new cover size of 828 x 315.

Isn't it 851x315?

@giuseppe ....

I'm no FB master but I always create my cover images at the required size of 851 x 315 (or higher) and at 150dpi and would save as a gif. But make sure to use sRGB color profile. So far, I haven't had problems with my cover photos.

thebestcpu

Guru
Isn't it 851x315?

Good clarification

For personal Facebook Page it is as you say at 851x315

The business page cover image is at 828x315

The link I showed must only be focused on the business pages and not the personal pages. I did not know business and personal were different re the cover image size. I did confirm the difference by checking cover page image sizes used the Firefox inspector/debugger and checking the sizes on personal vs business pages. Clearly a bit more involved that I had realized.

FYI

John Wheeler

peta62

Guru
My most severe problem with posting anything on FB is, they claim in their rules ( unless it has changed, but I doubt it ) all posted pictures become their property and they are free to use it and modify it as they want.

linz

I'm a photographer and I add photos to facebook for business. When I set my cover photo I usually use a photo that I had previously uploaded in an album at high quality. I've never had an issues with quality unless they changed something recently. Also as far as the facebook owning photos issues, I usually add links to facebook that have large photo previews.

Tom Mann

Guru
linz - Consider yourself very lucky that you have not encountered such problems, because many, many other people have run into the issue of poor quality cover images.

In fact, many people have been doing exactly what you suggest (ie, upload to an album at high quality) for a long time and still have serious quality problems. As evidence of the scope of this problem, if you Google {facebook "cover photo" bad quality} you get around 1.2 Million hits. Also, pls. read over post #2 in this thread about the difference between business and personal pages. This general topic is extremely common on FB help forums, and users have pleaded for years with FB to fix various aspects of it (eg, make the relatively new, mandatory gray gradient that appears on personal pages optional) and FB has turned a deaf ear to all of these requests.

Tom M