What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Illustrator Need help...trying to make a photo frame in ai and I'm stuck

mandamay

Hi. Obviously I'm new to ai and all things Photoshop. Thanks in advance for any help/advice!
I am trying o make a star photo frame to use on my sons birthday party invitations. I was using the pathways tool. I made a star, made a copy, resized a bit smaller to fit into the original star. used the Pathways tool to Unite and tried to minus front but it didn't work. Through trying to manipulate the frame I somehow found a way to place my photo into the star but the excess photo is showing on the outer edges of the frame. How can I get rid of this? TIAstar frame.jpg

gedstar

Guru
Hi Mandamay and Welcome to PSG
What do you mean by "but the excess photo is showing on the outer edges of the frame. How can I get rid of this"

Do you want to remove everything outside the star?

To create the Star you could have just used the Shape Tool in Photoshop

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:

hawkeye

Guru
In Illustrator use the star shape first as a clipping mask on the image.With the star selected offset the path zero to duplicate it. Add a stroke and no fill.

mandamay

Yes, I am trying to remove everything outside of the star. I know less about Photoshop than I do AI.. but I WILL learn! I love this!

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Amanda, are you using Illustrator or Photoshop?

mandamay

I'm using ai but I have Photoshop as well. I tried just for a few minutes to see if I could find my way and I couldn't. Better to stick with ai for this project.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm using ai but I have Photoshop as well. I tried just for a few minutes to see if I could find my way and I couldn't. Better to stick with ai for this project.
OK.

This is very easy in Ps using a clipping mask. I'm not much help with Ai.

Screen Shot 2016-04-17 at 3.27.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-04-17 at 3.27.45 PM.png

Hoogle

Guru
load your picture in illustrator
Draw your star and position it where you want it ( remember pressing the up arrow key will add more points, down arrow key will minus points, whilst dragging out the shape.
Obviously select no fill and add your stroke.
now use black arrow selection tool and select both the image and the star
Go to Object > Clipping Mask > Make job done

Hoogle

Guru
Sorry I did that from memory and may have missed out a few steps so I made a video, No sound as I can hardly talk due to tubes up my nose and down my throat..

But hopefully you can follow along I did it nice and slowly.

Well done!

For future reference, once you load a photo into AI, you can live-trace it so it becomes a vector image, then just erase whatever falls outside your frame shape with the eraser tool.