What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Illustrator Gradient over a square filled with a pattern.

Plbartie

Hi

I have created my own pattern with a few shapes. I have filled a square object with my pattern but I would like to apply a radial gradient over the square over all the pattern combined.

I am struggling and cannot find anything online, hopefully one of you gurus can assist. :banghead:

Thanks for taking the time to read my thread.

Regards,

Tom Mann

Guru
The first question that entered my mind when I read your post was what sort of radial gradient do you want? In brightness, in hue, in degree of saturation, in degree of focus / blurring, in contrast (eg, fade to gray), etc. Also, over what area do you want the gradient to act over? Only around the edges of the overall image, or around each object, etc. etc.

Probably the most direct way to give you some advice is if you post some images that illustrate what your are talking about. Even better, if you could post the PSD file you are working with, we could take off right from there.

Cheers,

Tom M

hawkeye

Guru
The first question that entered my mind when I read your post was what sort of radial gradient do you want? In brightness, in hue, in degree of saturation, in degree of focus / blurring, in contrast (eg, fade to gray), etc. Also, over what area do you want the gradient to act over? Only around the edges of the overall image, or around each object, etc. etc.

Probably the most direct way to give you some advice is if you post some images that illustrate what your are talking about. Even better, if you could post the PSD file you are working with, we could take off right from there.

Cheers,

Tom M

Illustrator Tom not Photoshop.

Plbartie

Cheers,

Tom M

Thanks for the quick response @Tom Mann appreciate it.

I have attached an image of what i would like to achieve, i would like it to fade from dark to light. (please excuse the quality of the pic, i am currently away from my pc and had to log into pc remotely to take a screen shot with my phone. If you need the actual file i can upload when I get back.
Screenshot_20160821-002530.png

I want to use this exact pattern but make it alot bigger to fit my square without stretching it. So, i have cut a square from this image to create a pattern now i want to fill my big square with it and use a radial gradient to give it this effect, fading from the outside of my square to the inside. To basically look the same as the file attached. Ignore the black square in the background.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Tom Mann

Guru
Great! Got it. Our members are scattered around the world. Give it some time, and I'm sure someone will show you exactly how to do it.

Cheers,

Tom M

hawkeye

Guru
In Illustrator you can use a transparency mask. Make a new shape on top, the same size as the pattern object, fill it with a black and white gradient. Select both objects, then Window-Transparency-Make Mask.

Attachments

• MaxthonSnap20160820162256.png
    MaxthonSnap20160820162256.png
    101 KB · Views: 13

Plbartie

In Illustrator you can use a transparency mask. Make a new shape on top, the same size as the pattern object, fill it with a black and white gradient. Select both objects, then Window-Transparency-Make Mask.

Thanks, that worked.
Is there any way that I can convert the square with the pattern I have created into an object that I can edit with the pen tool?

hawkeye

Guru
When you use a transparency mask, you are then working with two objects, each of which can be edited individually. Click on either in the Transparency window and the selected object will be outlined in blue. Once selected use any of the tools to edit it as needed. The same for the pattern object, but it will always be clipped by the shape of the mask if Clip is checked. You cal also unlink the two using the lock icon between them in the window, Hope that makes sense to you.

Attachments

• MaxthonSnap20160821093324.png
    MaxthonSnap20160821093324.png
    46.2 KB · Views: 8