What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Illustrator Need help creating a spherical grid

Rufkraft

Greetings!

Could use some help recreating the "spherical" gridwork as seen in the background on the posted image. I've watched a few tutorials but its not exactly what i am looking for- usually just how to create spheres.

I am trying to pay special attention to how the gridwork emanates from the apex/top. Any help with the technique, the actual name of the style (if it has one), or a push towards the right tutorials would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

14805521_1201915839868286_1480337081_n.jpg

Rufkraft

Here's my first attempt. Not fined tuned just an example of what i'm trying to acheive. Definitely need to get the lines tighter. Seeing that this is an early 90s record the technique itself has something to do with print? Like a halftone of some sort? i dunno....

Made from a combination of repeat scale & rotate transformations. Then i took it into Photoshop to warp it. My concern is keeping the design as a vector so i'm hoping this can be taken care of in Illustrator.

This was a dizzying process haha!

It seems like it should be so easy but alas things never are.

1sttry.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey.

I'm no help with Illustrator (yet), but I can assure you 100% that this can be and needs to be done completely in Illustrator. Photoshop's warp will not cut the mustard!

Rufkraft

That's what i am thinking..Seems like some type of "Guilloche" technique i guess.. Wow is it a dizzying process though haha

Tom Mann

Guru

Tom Mann

Guru
PS - I really don't think that techniques whose goal is Guilloche patterns would work for this.

Tom M

Rufkraft

Thanks Tom. The Adobe forum link definitely shed some light. It seems that everywhere i look the core of wireframe graphics is in programming. Time to get to work!

Guilloche is definitely awesome going to look into that. And all though i haven't figured out how to do a "simple flat sphere" just yet i have been picking up great techniques along the way!

Rufkraft

1.JPG

Current progress using warp/mesh.. not as clean as i would hope...guess i need practice. Alas duty calls so this one is on the backburner for now.

hawkeye

Guru
I'd say the best approach would to make two ellipses for the longitude lines. One small and one large. On the small elipse use a large stroke and on the large ellipse use a small stroke. Use the Blend Tool to create a number of duplicates between the two. In this example I used 15.

I used the same blend method on a series of arcs for the latitude lines. They could be reflected and copied for the other side. That's as far as my thinking takes me for any kind of automated approach. Frankly, I don't see any really easy way to get this done.

Obviously you need a circle shape behind the lines.

Attachments

• MaxthonSnap20161028114812.png
    MaxthonSnap20161028114812.png
    50.6 KB · Views: 30

Rufkraft

Thank you Hawkeye. Didn't even think of using blend that will definitely get the width gradation i'm looking for.

I look forward to trying this out later today. I will post my results.

Rufkraft

1.JPGAwesome! Thank you MrTom. With a combo of the Blend and the 3d getting real close to where i want it to be. Not exactly true to the original but definitely a step forward from where i started. PSGurus got it goin on!!! Cheers!:thumbsup:

MrToM

Guru
...Awesome! Thank you MrTom...
No worries.

...Not exactly true to the original...
With a little imagination and experimentation you only have to change the diffuse map to get closer...

globe_grid_MT_02.png

You can also vary the UV's, tiling and offsets...whatever, to make it look just the way you want it.

Its 100% Photoshop too! :thumbsup:

Regards.
MrToM.

Rufkraft

Diffuse- a whata? UV's? Tilings? Offsets?!!

Ahhhh dang you just opened a whole can of worms..! Time to hit the books!

MrToM

Guru
...Ahhhh dang you just opened a whole can of worms..!
Noooooo, I just opened Photoshop! :rofl:

If you've never ventured into the 3D capabilities of PS then don't rush in to learn it....its not as good as it sounds and is more "padding" than practical...but, having said that, sometimes its useful for the simple things. Thats not to say this is simple but you know what I mean.

Anyway, by all means scoot off over to Youtube and see what its all about but keep just keep in mind its only really good for the most basic of procedures....anything else just takes way too long to process and really defeats the object of using it.

Just for ref I didn't "render" either of the above images which is what takes the time, they are "as-is" and sometimes this is good enough.

I'll upload the PSD I created so you can play with it....at least then you'll have a working reference.

If you want to dive in straight away and "edit" the diffuse map then follow this...

globe_grid_MT_03.png

1. Make sure the "Move" tool is selected...it needs to be to 'activate' 3D mode.
2. Select the 3D 'Object' layer.
3. Open the 3D panel and select the 'Color Fill' option....this will then change the properties in the 'Properties' panel.
4. Click the 'Map' icon and select 'Edit Texture', (Grrrr!), which will open the current 'Diffuse Map' for editing as a PSB file. Usual rules apply for a PSB file....save it and the 3D Object will update your edits.
5. If you select 'Edit UV properties...' instead you open the UV properties dialog where you can change the scale, tiling and offsets......its in here you can just scrub the amount of 'lines' you get on the sphere via the tiling...it'll update in real-time. (Not so good with the Map I used but certainly works well with a regular 'square' grid).

Have a play on a COPY of the following PSD...(Mediafire link as its 59MB)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/jto5zqjoct6h11i/globe_grid_MT_01.psd

I appreciate this isn't done in AI but a PS 3D object can be rendered at any size and the Diffuse Map is all shapes, so in a way its all vector graphics anyway.

BTW, the spherical object is created from a normal filled layer via:
3D > New Mesh From Layer... > Depth Map To... > Sphere

This may be different to the more 'normal' way you'll see in a video but its my preferred method as the UV's are better. If you use this method then make sure to 'Remove' the maps for both the 'Bump' AND the 'Opacity' via the 'Remove Texture', (Grrr!), option....then edit the Opacity map (PSB) to be pure White.

As it happens if you want to change the 'Diffuse' map then also use the 'Remove Texture', (Grrr!), option first....then create a new one....don't just edit the original.

Have fun.

Regards.
MrToM.

Last edited:

Rufkraft

Thanks again Mr Tom! Just got back to civilization and found this waiting for me. Appreciate the file copy and the direction! Definitely a new aspect of Photoshop for me.

Looking forward to exploring 3D in Photoshop!

MrToM

Guru
No worries.

There is too much to it to explain it here so wade through a few YT videos, experiment with it and when you come unstuck you can always ask questions here.

There are several PSG members that have Photoshop 3D experience.

Regards.
MrToM.