What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Illustrator Difficulties exporting from Illustrator at a specific DPI

Rekov

Answered: Difficulties exporting from Illustrator at a specific DPI

I am attempting to export a raster version of my Illustrator file, which is 3 inches wide by 4.5 inches tall. I am trying to export the image at 1200 dpi, so it would be 3600 pixels by 5400 pixels. Whenever I try to do this, the file I get is massively larger than I intend it to be.

My artboard is currently 3600 pt by 5400 pt. Where am I going wrong in that the images I get when exporting aren't coming out as the right size?

Last edited:

sc00t

What file type are you saving as?
Why on earth do you need a 1200dpi resolution?
It might be as simple as checking "Use Artboards" during the save process, but let me know the details and I'll try to replicate the issue at my end.

-scott

Rekov

The company I'm working with to get my wine label printed says they prefer a 1200 dpi resolution, for whatever reason. I tried using the "Use Artboard" option, but I'm still getting this weird thing. I'll try to be more specific.

As far as I'm aware, my artboard is currently 3600 pt by 5400 pt. When I try to export at 300 dpi, I get an image file that is 15000 by 22500 pixels, which is way too big, and it suggests that Illustrator thinks my image is 50 inches by 75 inches big. Is there somewhere I can set the size of my document in inches so that it exports correctly when I put the desired DPI in? It should be 3 inches by 4.5 inches.

Also, thanks for your help sc00t.

gedstar

Guru
3600 pt * 5400 pt is equal to 15000 px * 22500 px which is what Illustrator is telling you and equal to 50 * 75 inches

Your artboard should be 3 * 4.5 inches

Untitled.jpg

Here's an Illustrator file exported to PS with 1200 dpi 3 * 4.5 inches as you can see the image size is 3 * 4.5 inches

Untitled1.jpg

You can edit the artboard size by going here

Untitled2.jpg

Change the Width and Height

Untitled3.jpg

Last edited:

Rekov

Thanks gedstar. That sorted out my problem. I just scaled all of my stuff to 6% of its original size and it fits the 3.5" x 4.5" artboard perfectly. I think I just didn't fully get how units work in AI. I didn't realized that 72pt ≈ 1 inch. I thought it was an abstract unit of measurement. Anyways, this really helped, so thank you.

DiaGraphics

Never make your products in "pt". Always make it in "pixel" if it is for web, and "mm,cm or inches" if its for a physical print. That way you will have a much better idea of the size. Just a quick tip :)