What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Illustrator PS File with Layers used in AI?

ElizabethM

Hello!

I currently learning how to use Illustrator and was wondering how exactly do I get a Photoshop file with layers ect into Illustrator?
I saved it as a PSD and tried (as per some tutorials) to "place" it there. It then asks me if I want to create seperate objects for all the layers which I say yes too... However after that it just opens as one compressed file. Help please! :eek: I just want to edit the text on Illustrator because I find it so much easier...

gedstar

Guru
Hi Elizabeth

Instead of using place, just open Illustrator and select File, Open and choose your file and then select this

image.jpg

As you can see my PS layers are there in AI

image1.jpg

Last edited:

ElizabethM

It worked this time! Ahh thank you so much!
I tried it a couple of times but I think because I had illustrator images copied over as smart objects the program was a bit confused.
I turned the layers off and it worked exactly as you showed, so thank you!

Do I have to make a new PSD after I start editing it in Illustator?
Or what is the best way to work when you want to edit both via PS and AI?