What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Illustrator Local and World/Global Space

rosheeee

How to I control different objects/layers so that I can work in Local space rather than World/Global space in Illustrator?

For those who aren't familiar with the concept, let me give you an example, say I have a design that uses 3 squares, lined up next to each other.

I create three separate squares and parent them to one layer called "boxes".
I then rotate the "boxes" layer to 30 degrees to give them a slant.
I then want to increase the spacing between boxes so I select one of the individual squares to move.

By default everything uses "World" or "Global" space which means that regardless of parenting all objects move along the x and y axis of the board. This means if I use the arrow keys or try to constrain translation with shift to move the child actor it will throw itself out of alignment with the rest of the squares so that it keeps its x or y values, depending on direction.

Using Local space means that if a parent is rotated, when the child is moved it moves relative to the parent. So in this example, with a local space translation, when I constrain translate the individual square it would move along at the same 30 degree angle that the parent has been rotated so all the squares remain all in alignment.

rosheeee

I think I figured out a workaround myself.
By applying a "Live Effect" on the parent actually achieves reserves Local space for the children.
In order to get it to work you select your parent,
Go to Effect > [Illustrator Effects] 3D > Rotate...
Change Position to Front

Set the Pitch and Yaw rotations to 0* and your Roll to whatever you need it to be (for those unfamiliar the order of rotations listed in the options are Pitch, Yaw then Roll)

Now unfortunately from what I have been able to determine you have to make all parent rotations through this method which is incredibly inconvenient for tweaking the rotation amount, if I find a better way to control it I'll post the solution.
EDIT: I DO NOT regard this as a solution but a workaround, if anyone has a proper solution or more info on how to improve on this please post

Last edited: