What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Illustrator How to draw a simple heart, cloud, tree and laural in illustrator - Feedback

DiaGraphics

How to draw a simple heart, cloud and laural in illustrator - Feedback

I have made these tutorials and plan to make some more. If you have some spare time i would really appriciate if you would watch them and give some feedback on whats good and what can be improved. Thanks smiley.png

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
Personally I hate background music when there is also narration.

A tutorial should be clear, without distractions, otherwise it becomes a demonstration.

Non narrated tutorials don't really benefit from background music but if it is used then it should be extremely subtle....almost inaudible.

Other than that, presentation isn't bad, easy to follow and understand...barring the distracting music.

Thanks for the share.

Regards.
MrToM.

DiaGraphics

Thanks for the feedback and for you to take the time to watch it. I will consider lowering the background musik in the next videoes. I do think it benefits the videos to have music so it doesnt feel so empty, like a movie with no background musik feels empty. but it may be to loud if it is distracting - also the music covers up the noise from my computer fan until i get a better microphone :)

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
No worries.

The tutorials with no narration are fine with BG music but it shouldn't take precedence.

If these were 'demonstrations' then by all means, do what you want, but when its a 'tutorial' it needs to be clean from anything but information....be that visually or audibly....the person watching AND listening is doing so to be informed, taught, educated, call it what you want...NOT entertained.

For example, did you have background music in class at school?
Do you have the radio on when taking your driving test?
Would you feel comfortable if you were undergoing a major operation and the surgeon had 'Mega Death' blasting out from a PA system?

There is a time and a place for music....during a tutorial is not one of them.

Check out some of the more popular tutorial producers....do they use BG music?

Why are they popular?

As I said before, its a personal pref but If a TUTORIAL has BG music over a narration then I usually move on....if there is no narration then it gets MUTED! :biglaff:

Regards.
MrToM.

fredfish

Guru
Welcome to the forum.

I have to say I agree with Mr Tom. The tutorials look great (I have only watched the Laurel one so far). But the music is a little distracting.

The other thing is that your choice of music isn't necessarily someone else's (although I personally quite like it!).

You only have to look at the big Tutorial providers such as Kelby or Lynda and look at their trends (they will have invested money to see what people prefer) and as far as I know they don't have background music.

Please more tutorials - but less music.

BTW Mr Tom - I agree with you about music being distracting, but as it happens I work at a local college and they do like to have some background music on during some of the sessions, having said that they always ask the students for their preference and often people choose the no music option.

Cheers

John

DiaGraphics

@ iamsam, sorry i will edit this post to fit the rules.
@fredfish actually Lynda is exactly one of the reason i chose music, i once followed hour of joomla lessons made by Lynda and i thought they missed music or some kind of filler. but i agree now that you both made your points, it should be lowered to a level where its way in the background and not distracting, thank you very much for the feedback :)

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
...they do like to have some background music on during some of the sessions...
Don't get me wrong....I like to go up to 11 just as much as the next guy but then I'm not trying to explain anything to anyone at the same time.

As you say, given the choice most will decline but watching a video doesn't even give you that choice.

Some tutorial videos I have seen have had the foresight to put the narration on one channel, (normally the left for some reason), and BG music on the other. This way if you want to have just the narration you just mute the right channel. Best of both worlds but not often done this way.

Regards.
MrToM.

MrToM

Guru
There is no need for 'Tables' in your original post.

Just use the video icon and paste in the URL of the YT video, that's all that is needed.

Regards.
MrToM.

DiaGraphics

@ tom

I just like using tables to use all the space instead of posting a long colomn of videos in the left site of the post :)

@IamSam sorry i didnt see the second page of rules about the missing narrative :)

MrToM

Guru
For some reason my posts no longer represent what I originally wrote so my apologies to the OP for the turn of politeness of the conversation.

I cannot re post my quote as the original post has been removed.

On the note of using tables, for the benefit of those forum members that use a 'fixed' width forum theme its better to just use the video icon and the URL...otherwise, this is the result...

forum_tables_MT_01.png

So yes, it 'looks' like the heart is displaying OK....difficult to see.

Sorry again for the [previous] missing information.

Regards.
MrToM.

MrToM

Guru
...This was my fault...
No worries.

Strange that there is no notification of your edit though...or does it not show for admin?

I wouldn't have mentioned it if it had showed it had purposely been edited.

Bibble. :confused:

Regards.
MrToM.

DiaGraphics

I see what you mean tom, i have changed it now, do you see the thumbnail for the heart tutorial now? :)

MrToM

Guru
...i have changed it now, do you see the thumbnail for the heart tutorial now? :)
Thank-you.

The poster image for your 'Heart' tutorial isn't right, no.

The image is taken from well within the video, 2 minutes at least.

Can you not edit your video and re-upload the right poster image?

I assume you did this already as the right image shows on your channel list of videos but that could be a 'cached' version.

I've had trouble with poster images before too so its not just you...sometimes it just takes time for 'edits' to filter through although I couldn't say if that includes poster images.

Regards.
MrToM.

DiaGraphics

Thnak you, i have tried to clear cache and everything. I will try again, thanks for the answer :)

MrToM

Guru
No worries.

I've just checked and you can easily change the poster image when you edit a video.

I notice now that you can play the video, pause it, and then capture that point as the poster image....I've never used that method but instead I usually have my own poster image which I upload.

Purely from past experience I'd say use the that method, upload your own poster image....just because I know it works...eventually.

Anywhere that a thumbnail image is used is using an old, but correct, image.....which is an actual 'thumbnail' image, not a poster image...

YT_channel_MT_01.png

It may take some time for these thumbnails to be re-created from the video once you upload the correct poster image again....its not just your browser 'cache' but youtubes image 'cache' that needs clearing but of course only YT can do that......and who knows when (if) that happens?

The best thing you can do is make sure you have uploaded the correct poster image and then just wait.

Regards.
MrToM.