What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Illustrator How to warp/transform a single letter?

ASC

Hey guys,

I'm trying to create something similar to this...
Screen Shot 2017-05-28 at 17.26.28.png

It's the a that I am interested in. As you can see the curve part of the letter (where the c is located) has been removed from the a. I know while using Illustrator you can press 'cmd + shift and o' which brings up anchor points of the letter but I still can't seem to get it to perfect as shown above...

Also in the image above the c is smaller in size than the a however they are still the same thickness which I've tried to create in Illustrator but again seem to be having difficulty with designing the above logo as it is. I'm mainly interested in how to transform a letter into a shape as done with the a above.

Hope to hear from someone soon.

Thank you for your time.

DiaGraphics

I think you will have to do some editing regarding that they are the same thickness. But you can transform a letter into a shape by selecting the letter and go object in the top menu and the select "expand" now you can just edit it as if it was a shape, thats how you edit type. I hope this answers the question :)

ASC

I think you will have to do some editing regarding that they are the same thickness. But you can transform a letter into a shape by selecting the letter and go object in the top menu and the select "expand" now you can just edit it as if it was a shape, thats how you edit type. I hope this answers the question :)

Cool dude thank you, just as I thought I would have to do it. I'll give it another go. Was struggling a little getting the shape similar to the a however I'll try again. How do I add new 'points' to a shape/letter so I can transform it say with the pen tool?

ASC

OMG Wow! Thank you so much, so kind of you to take your time out to make a youtube tutorial on it also! Thanks dude!

I have a couple more questions about this but not so much to do with wrapping/transforming/slicing a letter to make it a new one or a new shape. So I'm going to post it here instead of starting a new thread (if i need to do this please let me know and I will).

Forum.jpg

So here are my questions regarding the image above.

Red Circles - How can I get the section of the 'c' that is circled to be the same "thickness" as the 'a'. I've tried to have a play around with the anchor points and the pen tool, however it keeps snapping when I'm trying to move it even the slightest (and yes snap to grid/pixel/point are not selected). Is there a way to ensure EXACT same thickness as that of the letter 'a' ?

Blue Circles - Same as above regarding the thickness. Due to the 'c' being a smaller size the sections circled have become thinner however I'd like them to be the same thickness. Again only way I can imagine is with pen tool and anchor points but it doesn't let me make small/slight adjustments keeps snapping even though snap is off.

Green Circle - This might be me being a bit anal but this part of the a does not curve around smoothly, when zoomed in there seems to be a small rigid (point) edge before it sweeps into a curve.

If it helps I've uploaded the Illustrator file here - https://ufile.io/bi8sz, for anyone that wishes to download it and see what I'm referring to above.

Look forward to your help guys, thanks again for your time to at least acknowledge this thread.

-ASC

Last edited:

hawkeye

Guru
I won't go into absolute detail because there is more than one way to accomplish this, but this should give you some ideas.