What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Illustrator Question on the pen tool

Hello all.

I have an issue with the pen tool. If you look at the image below, I draw the black outline with the pen tool. These are several shapes on top of each other.

Sometimes, when I come to a point (see the blue arrows), then change the line direction, I get a flat, squared-off endpoint.

Sometimes (red arrows), I get a sharp single point.

Any idea why sometimes one, and sometimes the other?

Thanks.

Agent

Attachments

• illustrator_issue.jpg
    illustrator_issue.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 1

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This is caused by the stroke alignment in relationship to the path. In the examples below, I used the INSIDE alignment.

When the paths are close or touching after the corner node you will have a blunt stroke.
(Please note the path)
Screen Shot 2017-08-18 at 9.27.46 PM.png

If the path's are farther apart you get a sharply pointed stroke.
Screen Shot 2017-08-18 at 9.29.12 PM.png

If you wish to avoid the blunt stroke altogether, just set your stroke alignment to CENTER.

Awesome. Thanks so much. Although, I do set my stroke alignment to center on the stroke palette, but it doesn't seem to get rid of the blunt stroke.

Is there another setting I can mess with?

Agent

hawkeye

Guru
Stroke alignment will alter it, but it has more to do with where you place the points.

Attachments

• MaxthonSnap20170819112017.png
    MaxthonSnap20170819112017.png
    112.7 KB · Views: 0