What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

retouch atempt

smoke

Power User
1000x600.jpg

before.jpg

my serious first retouch attempt.

Techniques learned/used: Mixer brush tool use, gradient map color importance,

iDad

Guru
Well done it only gets better once you start with serious.keep it up!

ibclare

Queen Bee
Very nice smoke. (and btw, just because I'm too busy to get you in AW, doesn't mean I won't)

I especially like the color shift, very flattering. Interesting too. Keep up the good work. Fun to learn new tools too. I have never used the mixer brush. I may have to come to you for advice. :cheesygrin:

Exkalibur

Nice effort.If you want to take it to the next level, learn about the frequency separation technique.

smoke

Power User
Nice effort.If you want to take it to the next level, learn about the frequency separation technique.
I have seen this tecniques in few tutorials and NOW I know how its called... It is very useful for PROs. Will try it for sure.
Thanx buddy - Exkalibur.

Tom Mann

Guru
FWIW, I've completely given up on the spatial frequency separation method. It had a bit of a kinda cult following a few years ago, but, IMHO, it's just too many steps to deal with if you are processing more than a few pix and are under a deadline.

Topaz Detail costs a bit, but it does essentially the same thing, is much more flexible, and provides instant feedback on any changes you make in the settings, so it's vastly easier and faster to use. I've gone completely over to it for this type of adjustment.

T

Exkalibur

Or, if it's just for a quicky, I will pick the channel that is the "cleanest", duplicate it and use it as a mask on a blank layer, where I would paint with color, to even out or correct skin tones

Exkalibur

Another quick tip : If you use the healing brush to fix blemishes or other things, use a very soft brush in lighten or darken mode (depending on what you're correcting). It helps preserving texture and doesn't look as obvious.

Tocca

Hey, some great tips you have here. I didn't know of the frequency separation technique, but it really seems to be helpful. Thx! To come back to the picture, I like the improvments you made on it. Good job!