What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4-12 Practice Manipulation

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Model from Morguefiles.com free photos. Comments appreciated.

Attachments

• Practice 4-12-2013.JPG
    Practice 4-12-2013.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

iDad

Guru
I think you forgot something

ALB68

iDad
I took it down and deleted the graphic. I could not see a way to delete the whole post in the Preview mode, so I just let it go up and then went back and uploaded another file. You caught it in between. Sorry
I think you forgot something

iDad

Guru
Lol no Apologies needed just teasing you, been there done that
One of the mods can clean your thread up actually I see that Steve is online maybe we can give him something to do:mrgreen:

Steve

Retired Administrator
I see that Steve is online maybe we can give him something to do:mrgreen:

Sorry I'm too busy right now deleting your posts and editing your profile Norm.;)

Larry, how large are the original images you're working with?
What you posted was 700X339X240PPI and that was your before and after.
I think you need much, much, much, higher quality images to work with.

IMHO you're wasting your time with images that small.
If the originals are larger post the largest images you have so we can properly view them.
Cheers,
Steve

ALB68

Steve
That's a screen grab. Just trying to show comparison.
Thanks

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Paul

Former Member
I actually like the OP's attempt at 50's retro glamour (if that was his intention), all the comments about size are valid, but come on guys he's making honest attempts with yeah a limited image, keep going ALB you will get better and with the guidance of others here i am sure your next supplied image will be BIGGER:mrgreen:

iDad

Guru
You're comparing apples to oranges when you do that. Sure a high-resolution. always is going to look 100%better if you know what your doing. When you're working with low res, there is no comparing, sometimes it takes talent and patients to improve what you have to work with, not everything needs to be drop dead gorgeous, a happy medium for what you have to work with is far better than not giving it a shot.....

iDad

Guru
Yes, you can i agree but to compare even what you did is apple to oranges I am under the assumption that what he is doing is looking to improve with what he has to work with not glamour shots. Your skills are probably no match for him yet, but look out he may e the next digital Rembrandt,someday ;)

Tom Mann

Guru
When re-doing realistic images, one must always avoid the temptation to overdo the efx / fixes you apply, so you don't wind up with absurdities such as laser red lips, iridescent green grass, pink/magenta colored centers in the bark of the tree, halos, jpg block artifacts, etc.

Below is my take on this image. I liked Spruce's adjustment of the model's lips so much that I didn't even bother spending any time on that aspect of the image since he nailed it. Instead, because the original was of fairly poor quality, I tried to get the more global aspects of the image nailed down first.

One aspect that I had to guess at was her exact skin color. I guessed that she is more warm / yellow / olive toned, not pink/magenta toned, so I went in the former direction, but that's a complete guess and I could have easily guessed wrong .

Tom M

Attachments

• x-ALB's_morguefile_woman_against_tree-acr-ps02b-02.jpg
    x-ALB's_morguefile_woman_against_tree-acr-ps02b-02.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 18

ALB68

Gentlemen,
This is all very very good feedback and I greatly appreciate it. Let me explain myself here a bit.
On my journey with this, my main concentration has been to learn the techniques with the tools. I have not graduated to the point to where I am attempting to create drop dead gorgeous reality. I have learned about new software tools that are out there, mainly from Tom's comments and I have acquired some of them. I recently got Color Mechanic, the whole Nik suite, and a while ago Topaz. I have been trying these out to try and achieve pleasing results with a fairly minimal effort. So what your seeing HERE is primarily the use of some of those tools. I believe the skin color was actually applied using Nik. However, I did make some adjustment to it and as you can see, the CMYK values are pretty darn close to what Tom taught me they should be. Color Capture.JPG
As to the smudge on the lip, that was in the original and I did not do anything other than mask the lips and boost the saturation. I wanted her to look like she had put on some makeup without looking like a hooker. iDad said he liked those kissable looking lips, so I was trying to accomplish that result. (I'd kiss that lovely in a second!)Edit: (the girl-not iDad!:redface:) I should have edited out that smudge though.
Thanks again but I doubt that in the end my learned skills here are going to be in the area of glamour photography. Right now, my real life project is the creation of tempered glass cutting boards with dye sublimated photos of churches, new houses and business logos that are viewed from the cutting surface of the board. Highly saturated color is required here, not because it is technically correct, but because it SELLS! So as you can see, there is a method to my madness so to speak,
Great weekend guys!

Last edited: