What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just practicing Photo Restoration

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Great work! This is a fairly difficult restoration. For someone who claims he hasn't done many of these, your pretty good with them!

gedstar

Guru
"For someone who claims he hasn't done many of these, your pretty good with them!" :rofl:

Thank you Sam very much for your kind words, it is true that I haven't done many, I think this is about the fourth that I've done on my own. Spent a bit of time doing tutorials first and progressed from there. :thumbsup:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That's the way to do it, tutorials and practice!

Hawk, Tom Mann, you, and Sierra have motivated me to sign up with OPR. Thanks!

Sierraccr

Power User
Great job, gedstar! You have a nice feel for what has to be absolutely perfect and what can be simply clone stamped. That's important for a retoucher as you won't always have the luxury of time.

The cracks in the child's chin haven't come off quite perfectly - those are the hardest part. I did this exact image a while back and struggled with that as well. I finally ended up with the brush tool and simply hand-painted it.

gedstar

Guru
Thanks Sierraccr

Have to agree the face did give me a lot of hassle, don't think I actually spent enough time in that area, something I will need to practice more on. Will try and improve it, alas there wasn't much to go on the way the original image was.
Cheers for the tip :)

Tom Mann

Guru
Gedstar, I think that the owner of that photograph would be absolutely delighted with what you have already done. Most folks would categorize putting a torn-up photo back together as nothing short of a "miracle". Of course, there are minor aspects of any job that can always be improved, but the last 1% of such repairs can often take more time than all the time you've already put in on the job, so one has to know when to stop -- when one has reached the point of diminishing returns. It's not shoddy workmanship or a reflection on your technical knowledge, just reality.

Anyway, it was a great restoration. You should be proud of yourself.

Tom

inkpad.t

Guru
Don't know nothing in the restoration area , tried it once and it look more torn up than the original, so they put me back where I belong.. I just think that is amazing what you have done with that original photo.

gedstar

Guru
Hi Tom

The below coming from a master like you is most appreciated. Thank you so much for your kind words and good advice. You just made me so happy. :thumbsup:

Gedstar, I think that the owner of that photograph would be absolutely delighted with what you have already done. Most folks would categorize putting a torn-up photo back together as nothing short of a "miracle". Of course, there are minor aspects of any job that can always be improved, but the last 1% of such repairs can often take more time than all the time you've already put in on the job, so one has to know when to stop -- when one has reached the point of diminishing returns. It's not shoddy workmanship or a reflection on your technical knowledge, just reality.

Anyway, it was a great restoration. You should be proud of yourself.

Tom

MrToM

Guru
Excellent job there gedstar, I think you've found your forte!

Its difficult with restorations deciding what is a tear, rip, crease, dirt, water damage, fold or scratch and what is original detail but you've shown here that you have that certain 'eye' for it.

Restorations really do show the skill of the artist, anything 'not quite right' sticks out like a baboons backside and isn't something you hide away.

You've shown great skill in this, and considering the relatively short time you've been doing this type of work, done a sterling job.

Regards.
MrTom.

gedstar

Guru
Thank you MrTom
Maybe I have finally found my forte! Still lots to learn in Photoshop but with all the good and positive comments I feel really inspired to continue with what I'm doing. Actually signed up to Operation Photo Rescue and they sent me a test image to restore so will be emailing that back to them soon, pretty happy with the results although can't post the before and after image here.
Just to make someone happy with a photo restore and make them smile is all I want :)
Thanks again

Ged

Just realized never seen so many Pixels in all me life doing that restore :rofl:

Last edited:

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Good job gedstar. Those are tough. I did one not long ago for a paying client of a building that had been torn and then patched together with tape. I can't post it as it doesn't belong to me but I understand what you went through to get it to this stage, Keep up the good work.

gedstar

Guru
Thanks ALB68

People actually pay for this? just kidding at the moment it's just a hobby although maybe it's something I should consider, really love doing it, it's very pleasing to see the end result of your hard work! :)

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Yes, every now and then you find them. It's a hard row though. I too love doing these.
Thanks ALB68

People actually pay for this? just kidding at the moment it's just a hobby although maybe it's something I should consider, really love doing it, it's very pleasing to see the end result of your hard work! :)

Congrats on this excellent restoration job you've done here gedstar. I don't know how I missed this post?
I've done some restoration for friends myself over the years, and I know how difficult and time consuming this can be. Though I could never do this one in the same time that you did it.

Last edited:

gedstar

Guru
Thank you Chrisdesign, it was an enjoyable four hours and the result makes it worth the effort :)

Last edited:

MikeMc

McGuru
WOW I would never guessed four hours...I would have four days in and not close to what you've done!