What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retouching an old photo - before and after

ScubaDude

I'm still working on this one (it's a ~3000 x ~4000 scan and I'm going pixel by pixel), but here it is so far. I got most of the major flaws repaired, and I just keep making more passes, getting whatever is most noticeable at the time. In a few years it should be perfect.
6056309887_c648d0a479_z.jpg

Paul

Former Member
Repairs are good, face colour not right (you probably knew that) shirt colour is almost right.
So far so good mate/

ScubaDude

I'm finding that the skin color is hard to get right. Every time I work on it, I change it till it looks right. Then, next time I open it to work on it, it looks wrong again. Oh, well, it's my first attempt at colorization, and I'm in no hurry. Eventually I'll get it.

Hoogle

Guru
6056309887_c648d0a479_z.jpg
There is still some work to do on it like eye lashes and forehead but the skin is down to preference in this case I just added a curves adjustment layer and selected red channel and bought it down a notch hope you can figure it out sure a few tweaks and you will have it

ScubaDude

Nice. Yeah, the hairline and eyebrows have also been tough. I haven't done any levels/curves adjustments on the overall image yet. I figure I'll wait till I have all the damage repaired and then work on that. This small copy doesn't show it, but the emulsion on the photo is pock-marked with zillions of tiny bubbles. I'm kind of surprised that I've been able to make it look this good.

Paul

Former Member
Yeah like H said, i did a quick simular but even less- its down to the individual at the end of the day mate.

Attachments

• bwimage.jpg
    bwimage.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 101

SeniorS

Guru
Nice coloring. I didn't liked face color too.
Changed the shirt too. Don't know is it correct but i feeled it that way.

retouched.jpg

Curves, Selective color to face. Set whiter throught curves to everything else.

P.S. Hmm...my firefox show it more cyan as it should be by percentage in PS.

ScubaDude

PS. That was the tutorial for colorizing it. To remove all the flaws, I used the clone, healing brush and content-aware fill tools.

adeee

dude i dont care what other says but you did a great great great job. its really impressive.