What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Image Restoration (2 examples)

gohan2091

Power User
I still have a way to go to master image restoration but I wanted to show you guys two examples of pictures I have restored last year. I see flaws in them both, but I want to know if others here can see the flaws? Perhaps you can see flaws that I cannot see? Also, is anyone an expert at this and can give me a few pointers?

Restoration-Boy%20Original.jpg Restoration-Boy%20Restored.jpg

Restoration-Grandparents%20Original.jpg Restoration-Grandparents%20Restored.jpg

ibclare

Queen Bee
Pretty darn good. You've got a lot more to work with in the second picture, so I'd say you did a great job. In the first, I think because you are trying to clone or piece together large areas, they get muddy. You've lost the detail in the kid's shorts and that is rather glaring unfortunately. His hair looks a bit slicked and overall there is a graininess that is foreign to the film. But given what you had to work with, you did a great job. You might want to consider going back into the first one and trying to build a better pair of shorts! That's the only thing that I find a problem really.
:mrgreen:

Paul

Former Member
Excellent work, this is up there as one of my favourite types of Photoshop work, it's fun also.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Quite good, actually. You're in the right direction.

Flaws - yes, there are....

image 1 - the most obvious are the creases and bu7mps in the kid's pants. If you can retain that in , the image will look better. The details of his right knee, as wellDid you intend to turn the guy in the right back into a girl? lol.....

2 image. - the roof in the background, just above the family - something not right with the detail.

Just my 2 sens.

gohan2091

Power User
Pretty darn good. You've got a lot more to work with in the second picture, so I'd say you did a great job. In the first, I think because you are trying to clone or piece together large areas, they get muddy. You've lost the detail in the kid's shorts and that is rather glaring unfortunately. His hair looks a bit slicked and overall there is a graininess that is foreign to the film. But given what you had to work with, you did a great job. You might want to consider going back into the first one and trying to build a better pair of shorts! That's the only thing that I find a problem really.
:mrgreen:

Yeah, the first picture I didn't have much to clone, it because tricky, especially the shorts! This work is over a year old now, and looking back, I think I can improve it some more if I wanted. I have a few new techniques I could use to improve the first photograph, although the 2nd, I am not sure what I could bring to improve it.

Quite good, actually. You're in the right direction.

Flaws - yes, there are....

image 1 - the most obvious are the creases and bu7mps in the kid's pants. If you can retain that in , the image will look better. The details of his right knee, as wellDid you intend to turn the guy in the right back into a girl? lol.....

2 image. - the roof in the background, just above the family - something not right with the detail.

Just my 2 sens.

I agree with you. The shorts really let my attempt down. I didn't notice the right knee until you pointed it out to me, thanks for that! lol, the guy in the right! I see what you mean.. nothing a pucker tool cannot sort out :p. With the 2nd picture, I agree the roof isn't quite right there. Perhaps one day I will go back and correct this. This picture is actually of my nanny, grandad and mum, they wanted it restored and asked if I could do it for them. They are very happy with it which is all that counts. Thanks very much all for your feedback!

knarf

I still have a way to go to master image restoration but I wanted to show you guys two examples of pictures I have restored last year. I see flaws in them both, but I want to know if others here can see the flaws? Perhaps you can see flaws that I cannot see? Also, is anyone an expert at this and can give me a few pointers?

View attachment 9724 View attachment 9725

View attachment 9726 View attachment 9727
Nice work, and lots of hours in front of the PC screen! I won’t mention the obvious areas that could use some rework as you have noted them yourself. One thing that wasn’t mentioned, and it’s probably just me. In the second picture I would have removed the small line (maybe phone) from the picture. But then again that’s just my preferance.

I’m tackling the same type of restoration work on older, actually, to me, ancient photographs, so I can really relate to the hours of work you put into achieving the results you have. I’m not that experienced with PS so other than the basics stuff it’s still mostly new to me. Some on the this forum (I’m terrible on remembering names to give credit) have made suggestions by just dropping PS terminology that I’m not familiar with so off I go using the help section and or Googling for answers and darned if I don’t find a solution to the problem.
I’ll post some of my most recent B&A work tonight for all to scrutinize. Some I posted previously so it may be the same old same old to some. The last one I finished to night is of a distant relatives store front and it has been my biggest challenge yet.

gohan2091

Power User
Nice work, and lots of hours in front of the PC screen! I won’t mention the obvious areas that could use some rework as you have noted them yourself. One thing that wasn’t mentioned, and it’s probably just me. In the second picture I would have removed the small line (maybe phone) from the picture. But then again that’s just my preferance.

I’m tackling the same type of restoration work on older, actually, to me, ancient photographs, so I can really relate to the hours of work you put into achieving the results you have. I’m not that experienced with PS so other than the basics stuff it’s still mostly new to me. Some on the this forum (I’m terrible on remembering names to give credit) have made suggestions by just dropping PS terminology that I’m not familiar with so off I go using the help section and or Googling for answers and darned if I don’t find a solution to the problem.
I’ll post some of my most recent B&A work tonight for all to scrutinize. Some I posted previously so it may be the same old same old to some. The last one I finished to night is of a distant relatives store front and it has been my biggest challenge yet.

With an exposure adjustment layer:

The line you speak of is a washing line used to hang clothes on so the wind and dry them. I agree, it would look better if this line was removed. I took a look at your photo restoration... good job and yes, very old fashioned photos indeed.

@hawkeye, I do not understand what you are trying to show me.

ibclare

Queen Bee
He has used an adjustment layer. Go to layer>adjustment>exposure. I think he increased the exposure to bring a bit more light onto the scene. But since the lady has white and other bright highlights that don't need any lightening, he then used a brush with black paint directly on the adjustment layer mask to "erase" the effects of the adjustment layer from the areas he brushed. Look at the img he posted and you can see that in the white box on the upper layer. That's the adj. layer mask and you can see how he painted out the highlights; this removes the effect of the exposure change.

Hope that answers your question. :mrgreen:

ibclare

Queen Bee
Let me clarify one of those terms. I said erase and remove. You'll hear the more accepted term of reveal. Black reveals, white conceals. Revealing the unaltered image essentially removes the affect of the exposure change.

I read and reread what I write hoping it is clear. Let me know if it's clear as mud or what!

gohan2091

Power User
Thanks for explaining what an exposure layer is and about masking parts with black and white paint but I already know about this. I was simply asking why he showed me this adjustment layer. If it was because some parts of my image were too dark, then I understand but it came out pretty good during printout.