What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Angela before and after

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Nice restoration! I am working toward doing exactly the same thing as you on the restorations. I am beginning to feel pretty comfortable with my PS abilities. Let me know how it is going. I may need to call on you for some marketing ideas.

Personal for portfolio purposes. I'm going to start advertising for the service in my local area and I need to add some restoration pieces to the ol' portfolio. The town I live in has a very large retirement community with lots of old, decaying photos and there is nobody in the area that does restoration work that I know of.

Fatboy73

Guru
Nice restoration! I am working toward doing exactly the same thing as you on the restorations. I am beginning to feel pretty comfortable with my PS abilities. Let me know how it is going. I may need to call on you for some marketing ideas.

Sorry, I didn't see this earlier. Thank you very much, I'm glad you like it. It's going slow, but I have a few customers. Business cards are going to be your cheapest route for advertising. Other than that, there's local papers and website, which in my area costs around $150/month. I was talking with Yellow Pages and their cheapest deal was $175 for two months, everywhere in my state.
Advertising is friggen expensive, even just locally, but I'll keep plugging away at it. :)

Dalkarls

Very nice job! I think bringing some noise back into the photo wouldnt hurt tough! Otherwhise I'm very impressed! :)

ALB68

FB, I have been trying to duplicate what you did with this image, but for the life of me I have tried a bunch of things and still can't duplicate it. I did do this one, not as good as yours mind you, but it was a good exercise. With your permission I think I would like to put this in my portfolio. It probably needs a little more work on my part but the actual print size on it is considerably smaller that the screen size.

Attachments

• Little Girl Repair.jpg
    Little Girl Repair.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

ibclare

Queen Bee
Very nicely done. May I make one observation? Like you can immediately say no? I think the image needs a bit more contrast, the range of white to black is limited. It will bring out a bit of detail too.

I haven't visited this pic in awhile, but since it came back to what's new today, I looked again. I disagree with my first comment. Perhaps selective areas could have more contrast, but on the whole, there's a delicate balance and an overall contrast increase would blow out the highlights and destroy the shadows. Anyway, it's a soft picture of a girl, and like iDad said, "priceless."

Have you tried just the slightest sepia toning to warm it up?

ALB68

Claire
Are you commenting on my post or the original?
I did in fact look at sepia toning but the look I have presented is classic. I liked the classic better than the toned.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Fatboy73

Guru
FB, I have been trying to duplicate what you did with this image, but for the life of me I have tried a bunch of things and still can't duplicate it. I did do this one, not as good as yours mind you, but it was a good exercise. With your permission I think I would like to put this in my portfolio. It probably needs a little more work on my part but the actual print size on it is considerably smaller that the screen size.

No problem. you can use it if you like. I can send you the original if you want, it's a little better resolution.
Just curious, how did you go about with your restoration? I don't remember every step of how I went about it, but I can try to give you some details if you want.

ALB68

Heck, me either. I tried several different things before I got it where it looked 1/2 way decent. I know I started out with it in ACR and I was able to eliminate a lot of that wrinkled looking background and on her face. I would be interested in your process though. The original would probably turn out better due to the size. Thanks!
No problem. you can use it if you like. I can send you the original if you want, it's a little better resolution.
Just curious, how did you go about with your restoration? I don't remember every step of how I went about it, but I can try to give you some details if you want.

egosbar

Guru
im thinking of doing the same thing , restorations arent that complicated what i would like to know is how much to charge

can anyone give me an idea of the going rate for ps work

Fatboy73

Guru
Well I can tell you I simply duplicated the layer to preserve the original and went in with a custom brush to paint out most of the damage in the detailed areas. I used the healing brush on the the less detailed areas.

My secret weapon(chuckle) if it can even be called that, is a hard,square, brush. Set to scatter with the "other dynamics" checked and the flow and opacity jitter turned to pen pressure. That's it.
Once you get used to using it, it in combination with the clone stamp does amazing things. I also use it as a normal brush, but I eyedrop constantly from the surrounding area to re-sample and try to match the pixelation.

here is the original file to work with. :)

Attachments

• Angela rose waite_before.jpg
    Angela rose waite_before.jpg
    571.9 KB · Views: 3

Fatboy73

Guru
im thinking of doing the same thing , restorations arent that complicated what i would like to know is how much to charge

can anyone give me an idea of the going rate for ps work

For restoration work and most other, I charge a straight $10/hour. Keeps things simple and for my area, it's a reasonable price.

ibclare

Queen Bee
Claire
Are you commenting on my post or the original?

I meant fatboy's work. I wasn't suggesting sepia toning as such. Just a subtle filter, warming or sepia, since it seems a bit cool to me for the subject it represents. But that is just my preference.

ALB68

I got the original. Ten bucks is pretty cheap. How bout I sell em for $20 an hour and send em to you to fix! :rofl:
For restoration work and most other, I charge a straight $10/hour. Keeps things simple and for my area, it's a reasonable price.

Fatboy73

Guru
I got the original. Ten bucks is pretty cheap. How bout I sell em for $20 an hour and send em to you to fix! :rofl:

You find clients that will pay $20/hour for a photo restoration and I will give you a $5/work hour finders commission. :)

ALB68

You find clients that will pay $20/hour for a photo restoration and I will give you a $5/work hour finders commission. :)

Your soooooo kind :rolleyes: