What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HDR photo

Geeking out over the "Merge to HDR Pro" feature.

Took this random shot in the parking lot in my complex, and Photoshop made it amazing.

Agent

Attachments

• IMG_0666_lo.jpg
    IMG_0666_lo.jpg
    692.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 2013_6_1_hdr_low.jpg
    2013_6_1_hdr_low.jpg
    674.4 KB · Views: 6

Pansy Ma

:cheesygrin: wow~~it looks a great different before and after picture~ thanks for sharing~ "Merge to HDR Pro" feature is in PS what version?

Crotale

Power User
Pansy Ma, Merge to HDR is available in all versions from CS2 on up.

agent, it looks way too "overdone". The sky around the tree is not the same as it is in the general sky portion of the image.

How many bracketed shots did you have for this?

Tom Mann

Guru
Agent, I think you will find that software dedicated to HDR will provide much more convenient controls of the many parameters involved in an HDR conversion. This usually translates to better final results. In addition, compared to PS, these software packages are dirt cheap.

As an example, I processed the single, non-HDR image that you posted using both Photomatix and Dynamic Photo HDR, two fairly well know HDR packages. I've included screen shots of the settings I used for each. A wide variety of final "looks" can be obtained by all these methods, but if I had access to the full bracketed set of starting images, the results would clearly have been even better, particularly w.r.t. noise and harshness in the shadow areas.

These results are also over-the-top, but more from the point of view of color saturation than the harshness and halos I suspect bothered Crotale. I tried to adjust these to look a bit more like what people usually have in mind when they think as a moderate HDR look.

First, for easy comparison, is the single original that you posted down-rezz'ed to display in-line in this forum without triggering the forum's compression software and adding its own harshness.

IMG_0666_lo-00_orig-698px_wide.jpg

#2 - Your PS "merge to HDR" result

IMG_0666_lo-agent_moeller-PS_merge_to_HDR-698px_wide.jpg

#3 - Dynamic Photo HDR

IMG_0666_lo-tjm01_dynamic_photo_HDR-698px_wide.jpg

#4 - Photomatix

IMG_0666_lo-tjm02_photomatix-698px_wide.jpg

#5 - Screen shot of the settings I used in Dynamic Photo HDR
screen_grab-dynamic_photo_HDR.jpg

#6 - Screen shot of the settings I used in Photomatix

screen_grab-photomatix_pro.jpg

I hope you find these of interest.

Regards,

Tom

Hoogle

Guru
Not every image has to be photo realistic to be good. Sometimes I know it is hard to believe people edit images just for fun and like the wacky crazy effects they can get. Sometimes you have to just role with it and break a few rules once in a while.

There is questions that maybe should be asked before telling someone how they should be doing it.

Question 1 is this effect you are going for or would you want it more realistic.

Question 2 I like the coloured sketch effect you have achieved but maybe you would want to reduce the halo effect may I suggest you do this to conquer it.

Question 3 Are you open to criticism and advise from my view on this image

Question 4 I too have played with your image (thank you for sharing) Do you mind if I upload my version so we can compare effects and our different approaches to achieve this effect.

I mean come on guys you wouldn't walk into a restaurant and push the chef aside and cook your own meal would you, you may however request that subtle changes can be made to suit your specific needs etc.

Not every thread on here is How to do this, How to do this better, please critique my skills.

Tom Mann

Guru
Hoogle, if your comment was addressed to me, do you really think that a post which includes statements like:

1. "I think you will find that software dedicated to HDR will provide much more convenient controls..."

2. "These results are also over-the-top,..." (ie, MY results are over the top)

3. "I hope you find these of interest...."

is telling the OP what to do?

T

Hoogle

Guru
I have done it again see this is why I hate writing posts because it never comes across clearly as it does in my head.

My point is that so many threads get hijacked with oooh this is how I would do it etc. That is great if it is in the right place or if OP asks how would you go about doing it etc. But in this case the op has posted in a before and after showroom and has stated made it look amazing using his methods and to his personal taste. How are we to know he does not have HDR PRo or made a really perfect effect using just ps hdr effects maybe he did and then wanted to exceed the normal amount of editing.

I have often got an inbox full of messages from people saying I never wanted advise on this I know how to do it properly etc but xxxx has made me look stupid by telling me how it should be done in my thread, when All I was doing was trying to push filters to the limit etc.

I too am not a big fan of ps hdr functionality and tend to use 3rd party software that do an excellent job so I understand where you are coming from.

But I apologise if you take offence by my observation yes I guess maybe normally I would just ignore these things and maybe I am just wound up with a stressful week on my work end of people thinking they are helping by telling me what to do without fully knowing the whole situation or understanding behind my actions. And I guess that has come across onto here. So once again Tom sorry if my comment does not reflect to you or you misunderstood my Global point not aimed specifically at this thread but more globally and in general to all members.

Janifar

Banned
Agent, I think you will find that software dedicated to HDR will provide much more convenient controls of the many parameters involved in an HDR conversion. This usually translates to better final results. In addition, compared to PS, these software packages are dirt cheap.

As an example, I processed the single, non-HDR image that you posted using both Photomatix and Dynamic Photo HDR, two fairly well know HDR packages. I've included screen shots of the settings I used for each. A wide variety of final "looks" can be obtained by all these methods, but if I had access to the full bracketed set of starting images, the results would clearly have been even better, particularly w.r.t. noise and harshness in the shadow areas.

These results are also over-the-top, but more from the point of view of color saturation than the harshness and halos I suspect bothered Crotale. I tried to adjust these to look a bit more like what people usually have in mind when they think as a moderate HDR look.

First, for easy comparison, is the single original that you posted down-rezz'ed to display in-line in this forum without triggering the forum's compression software and adding its own harshness.

View attachment 34432

#2 - Your PS "merge to HDR" result

View attachment 34433

#3 - Dynamic Photo HDR

View attachment 34434

#4 - Photomatix

View attachment 34435

#5 - Screen shot of the settings I used in Dynamic Photo HDR
View attachment 34436

#6 - Screen shot of the settings I used in Photomatix

View attachment 34437

I hope you find these of interest.

Regards,

Tom

Tom, great job like it. :thumbsup:

Everyone calm down now.

I know my result was "over the top." It was my first HDR photo ever.

I'm more than happy to see how other people do it, but, as Hoogle said, maybe I wanted mine to look like that. (which I did!)

I just sprang for the CS6 suite, so I can't afford to drop more $$$ on after-market filter programs. I know they're out there. I'm gonna keep fiddling with Ps and see how I can manipulate my pix.

Thanks for the "cartoonist" comment, Clare.

Agent