What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retouch random girl before and after

Imke

So I was googling for 'blemishes' and took a random picture of a girl with a pretty bad skin. Perfect for retouching!
Let me hear what you think, I'd love to hear some tips and tops. :D

6portretsmall.jpg
6portret2small.jpg

ok for me, i think you can do better,

1. reduce redness from the check,
2.apply some softness skin effect to neck and shoulders
3.make sharp edges on nose and jaw( you can use high pass, filter/other/high pass).

This beautiful girl needs a dermatologist granted. However, your rendition reminds me of some of the things I have done and posted here in the past. I know you put a lot of work into this, however, IMHO your result gives the subject a totally unrealistic look. One thing I have learned in this forum is to try and create or maintain as much realism in your subject without destroying their true identity. I did this one in response and not saying it is perfect, but I think it demos what I am saying.
6portretsmall.jpg

Nice effort, the lips are to much for me though.
At the end of the day this type of shopping is very personal in completion and overall effect.

The background is patchy and a couple of the edges need sorting, like the lips, but on the whole Imke, I think you have done a good job.

Your on to a good start Imke! Good work with the dots and blemishes but you have gone a little bit to hard on her skin. It's as Paul said, a very personal taste but less is often better. She needs to have some texture left in her skin or it's gonna look cheap or almost cartoonish. For instance, instead of cloning away the area under her eyes just lighten it up a little and desaturate the yellow area. The red lips are off to a good start but i think you need to bring some glossiness back. Eyebrows are good. Extensions or eyelashes look natural. The t-shirt seams a little bit flat. Her ear is little bit to red in the top corner.

Over all well done, but bring back some of her natural moles and skintexture and you have a much more realistic feeling.

Hey. Good work! But there are a few things that could be improved on. As others have mentioned, when retouching a photo, most times you'd want realism in the final result.(At least I would.)

Now a few things I would have done differently is, for one, not smooth the skin quite as much. People have pores. So taking that into consideration, the skin needs texture. Considering the low quality of the start photo, there isn't many pores to begin with so you have to be even more careful. Another is the make-up. I like the makeup you have, but one problem is that it would rarely look as vibrant as that. Try going a little more subtle. :) Also leave the moles that she had at the start as those are features that make her who she is(to us anyway, seeing as how we don't know her.).

Here is a quick 5 min edit I did to demonstrate some of what I'm saying:
6portretsmalledit.jpg

:thumbsup:OH~~Dear IMKE : i think the retouch is quite good~ i give 80 marks~ HAHA~ but i think if the lips make less saturation is better~~

I know this is an old thread, but what the heck...

Here's a really quick shot at reducing some of this girl's skin problems, the uncontrolled lighting, etc..

T

6portretsmall-00_orig_pp_jpg-acr-ps02a_698px_wide-01.jpg

Seems like this girl is getting a lot of attention...

Here's my edit.

Faceshopped_zps7e0cfbd4.png

Thanks, Chris.

There's a big problem in all of these make-overs where the retoucher doesn't know the model nor knows how much of a change she and/or the photographer want done. Ability and technique issues not withstanding, the most fundamental question in this sort of work is always whether or not this might actually look like her (...but without skin problems), or is it nothing more than a fantasy of my imagination. For example, just how pale / tan is her true skin color.

T

Last edited:
Seems like this girl is getting a lot of attention...Here's my edit.

If you compare closely your version is still a little blotchy and glossy in the face. Tom seems to have put on a little make up on the face.

Don't forget -- dropping in a new background that suggests a less mundane environment takes little time (err, depending on the hair situation), but can really spice things up.

This one only took seconds, so it's easy to see that it doesn't match especially well in color, nor perspective, wasn't masked very well, etc., but should at least suggest the sorts of things that can be done with a snapshot taken at someone's kitchen table.

T

Attachments

• 6portretsmall-00_orig_pp_jpg-acr-ps02a_698px_wide-05.jpg
    6portretsmall-00_orig_pp_jpg-acr-ps02a_698px_wide-05.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 30
Then again, Inkz, there's an equally good chance the she saw my post, but hated my choice of using a discard photo showing out-of-focus people milling around in the studio, a modeling light on and glaring at the camera, etc.. :eek:

Tom

Back