What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My First Restoration Project using CS6 and Wacom Bamboo Tablet

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
You made a great effort considering the condition. Here is what I came up with based on your unfinished submission. I gave your background a painterly look as they commonly did back in those days. I generally removed the jpg artifacts and noise using Topaz filters. I softened the skin with Nik Vivesa, and did some selective brightening. I also fixed some of the areas I considered to be damaged or discolored by zooming in very close and actually coloring the effected pixels a few at a time. Hope this helps you. Mine's not perfect either, so don't worry and keep at it.

Attachments

• Restore2.jpg
    Restore2.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

Paul

Former Member
Hi Gedstar, what you have achieved is very well done, especially considering it is your 'first' attempt at such shop projects.
I especially like the way you used a vignette to wrap the image giving it some realism for the time period and at the same time loses the lost portion of the original, well done.

gedstar

Guru
Thanks Guys

@ALB68 just wondering which Topaz filters you used, I just installed Topaz bundle a few days ago but haven't really had the chance to play around with them, do you know of any good sites with tutorials for Topaz, I know there some on the Topaz website, just wondering if there any other sites around.

Cheers
Gedstar

Paul

Former Member
Topaz adjust and detail are the best for me, not that i use them anymore:mrgreen:

ALB68

I only used the one called Djpeg to try and clean up any artifacts that might have been hanging around there. Topaz has some neat filters but you will just have to experiment with the different ones. Clean and Ajust as well as Simplify do some cool effects. Also I am using ReMask more and more since I have gotten well acquainted with it.
Thanks Guys

@ALB68 just wondering which Topaz filters you used, I just installed Topaz bundle a few days ago but haven't really had the chance to play around with them, do you know of any good sites with tutorials for Topaz, I know there some on the Topaz website, just wondering if there any other sites around.

Cheers
Gedstar

Last edited:

gedstar

Guru
Thanks, will trying experimenting with them, tried using the ReMask, got mixed results, suppose it will take time to learn

Cheers

I only used the one called Djpeg to try and clean up any artifacts that might have been hanging around there. Topaz has some neat filters but you will just have to experiment with the different ones. Clean and Ajust as well as Simplify do some cool effects. Also I am using ReMask more and more since I have gotten well acquainted with it.

ALB68

Yep same on the ReMask, but it is actually pretty good. Be sure and set your preferences so that it gives you a layer mask and then tweak it from there. Takes practice with it.
Thanks, will trying experimenting with them, tried using the ReMask, got mixed results, suppose it will take time to learn

Cheers