What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Restoration of a rusty Truck

I suggest copying the layer a couple times and changing blend modes, fiddle with opacities. I tried a first layer of overlay at 100%, then a hard light layer. But to save messing around with blocking out the BG or other parts of the truck, I'd make a good selection of the parts you want glossed.

There may be some layer effects you could use.

Another way would be to use the hard light layer and a levels adjustment. You might not have to mask the BG so much this way, negating the need to make a selection. I would suggest experimenting with these various ideas and see if you're satisfied.

And since, as we all know, PS offers a minimum of 3 ways to do just about anything, you will surely get some more feedback on this question! Good luck. Have fun.

No matter how hard and crisp you get the light reflections, you will always be missing the darker reflections found on the lower half of the car (the reflections of the surrounding area up to the horizon).

I would find a good picture of a shiny truck that sits at a similar angle, tweak the colors to match closely to your truck, and then drop in the panels over your existing panels and blend.

Doing it by hand would still involve finding an image of what is to be reflected, masking it, distorting it, and blending it onto the panels anyway. I wouldn't bother with all of that, unless there is something very specific you want reflected in the finish ;)

Here is something half way reasonable. I'm sorry, I didn't keep up with the steps but I kind of winged it. I opened it in ACR. Moved the white,black and highlight sliders to increase them. Opened in Photoshop, put on a Selective Color adjustment layer, sliders on Blacks, Cyan and Whites I think. Blended that layer, I think I used linear light. Then I applied the Fractalis filter using Neon 100. Blended that result with Hard light and lowered the opacity. You or most any of these Gurus can beat me, but I tried.
TruckRestoration.jpg

Here is what I did:

rusty-truck.PNG

The layers are set to overlay 60%, then vivid 30%. For more shine, play with the opacity. You may need to change the colors for the layer blend modes (these are set to color) to restore the original color.

Last edited:
Here's with a layer of plastic wrap added onto a duplicate, smoothest settings, lowest detail and somewhere around a middle highlight strength, this is with 11. Then I set the mode to screen at 70%. Mask out all the rest of the filter effect.

rusty-truck-2.PNG

This has been here before, very same image or is my radar slightly off and it was somewhere else, either way a great thread.

That is just a superb approach .... and not just because it's *exactly* what I would have recommended had I seen this first. LOL.

In fact, I maintain an archive of faces for exactly the same purpose, especially when you need to repair some area and can't simply flip the face (say, because of lighting).

Thanks, guy!

Tom

No matter how hard and crisp you get the light reflections, you will always be missing the darker reflections found on the lower half of the car (the reflections of the surrounding area up to the horizon).

I would find a good picture of a shiny truck that sits at a similar angle, tweak the colors to match closely to your truck, and then drop in the panels over your existing panels and blend.

Doing it by hand would still involve finding an image of what is to be reflected, masking it, distorting it, and blending it onto the panels anyway. I wouldn't bother with all of that, unless there is something very specific you want reflected in the finish ;)

you did fantastic job here it look's good for me and i want also try to get this truck to new look, actually i don't have time to do work on this truck so i decided i will do work on this truck at weekend and will post my work on monday, so wait for the upcoming monday.

Thanks,
Prd

I can't get a shiny or glossy look on this truck.
Does anybody have an idea how to achieve a "new car look"?

View attachment 34874
before

View attachment 34875
after

This has been here before, very same image or is my radar slightly off and it was somewhere else, either way a great thread.

Not here, but on the TOPAZ forum about 2 yers ago. In the meantime I worked on it many times, but I can't get the paintwork look glossy.

Thanks cringer for your "professional" answer. It would be the only way to get a glossy paintwork. But the time investment would be astronomical. As I still want to learn I might try it.

That is just a superb approach .... and not just because it's *exactly* what I would have recommended had I seen this first. LOL.

In fact, I maintain an archive of faces for exactly the same purpose, especially when you need to repair some area and can't simply flip the face (say, because of lighting).

Thanks, guy!

Tom

Thanks Tom, I'm sure you could do it...you're one of the professionals in the forum. That's why you came up with the same idea like cringer. I wonder if I should try it once, the time investment would be enormous, so maybe it is not worth the effort.

Last edited:
This thing kept on bugging me. Came up with this.
TruckRestoration.jpg

the bull bar and lights were taking away from a great looking truck , i quickly started to remove it to show it off , not sure if you like the bar etc but heres a quick bit of work the other side will be tricky i might go back to it when im bored

id do a lot better work on the grill if it was my image

id also change the rims and tyres but thats just me , love the truck wish i owned it

Attachments

• TruckRestoration.jpg
    TruckRestoration.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 33
Thank you Clare, Larry and egosbar for your posted images. To me all of them look now to dark, and the paintwork is not really glossy. What I have in mind is a "new car look".

Yep. That is a tough task you threw out chris. How would you feel about changing the color of it?
Thank you Clare, Larry and egosbar for your posted images. To me all of them look now to dark, and the paintwork is not really glossy. What I have in mind is a "new car look".

Back