What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another retouch.

Jessicayla

Hoopy Frood
I decided to go for a slight cross processed look on this one.

I used Lightroom and Photoshop.
I removed blemishes, (most of the) glare from the glasses, the background, etc.

beforeandafter5.png

Why did you change her hair color? I liked the redish color in the original. (Is that the cross processing causing that?) Otherwise a good job.

I just wanted to stylize it, so the blue-ish tinge is on purpose. I thought the original lighting was pretty good (I took it near a window), but I felt like it was a bit boring. I've been doing realistic retouches so I just wanted to add a little flair to it :)

Thanks!

Done a really good job Jess....

None of it is over the top, just subtle changes. Watch your masking of the models hair, can just see some edges there that give it away.

Nice work.

Done a really good job Jess....

None of it is over the top, just subtle changes. Watch your masking of the models hair, can just see some edges there that give it away.

Nice work.

Thanks Inkz! The model is actually myself, hah! The hair area did give me some trouble. It was my first time really messing with the refine mask feature and it was a little sloppy, I will admit! I'll definitely practice more.

Thanks Inkz! The model is actually myself, hah! The hair area did give me some trouble. It was my first time really messing with the refine mask feature and it was a little sloppy, I will admit! I'll definitely practice more.

I have to admit, I rarely use the refine edges feature. Just mask and then zoom right in and mask the unwanted areas.

Good stuff Jess ;)

Great work here Jess! It's refreshing to see someone doing this work the right way. You've retained all the detail of the original, but the coloring, retouching and framing are all looking great.

I'd be interested to see slightly more contrast in the glasses, maybe making them stand out just a touch more.

No problem Jessica, I hope you'll post some more stuff here I can look over.

OP: "...I thought the original lighting was pretty good (I took it near a window), but I felt like it was a bit boring..."

I suspect the reason you may feel this way is because your face is almost directly facing the light source (the window), and it is a fairly large area source, so there are essentially no shadows on your face to give the viewer depth information. This is about as flat lighting as one can get.

Typically, one gets better results with light from a nearby window if the model's face is turned maybe 60 degrees from it, and you let the light wrap around their face.

Also, your comment (quoted above) may also come from your expression and pose - you actually look bored, and you are looking off into space instead of engaging the viewer in some way (eg, looking directly into the camera, interacting with someone or something else in the scene, etc.). The "selfie" photo you posted in another thread ( http://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum...-personal-photograph-here.html#post1533651925 ) is *much* better in this regard.

Finally, as one would expect from window light without direct sun streaming in, it gives a cold lighting effect. This is confirmed by sampling the colors of the white piping at the top of your blouse, as well as your sclera. Although I have never seen you in person, my guess is that your skin is also slightly too bright and slightly too pink. Attached is a quick attempt to remedy this.

Just my $0.02,

Tom

Attachments

• beforeandafter5-tjm_fix_on_RHS-01.jpg
    beforeandafter5-tjm_fix_on_RHS-01.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 21
PS - BTW, I didn't make any attempt to do anything to the background, do anything separately to your hair (ie, cross processing), etc.

Tom

Nice Jessi! I won't add to the comments above. Here is my own. The hair on the model's right needs a little work. It is cut kind of sharply and could use some softening. My shortcut is to use brushes for this. It may be hard to find good ones with stray hairs, but they're out there.

Also, I could see this done as a manipulation in which you add more BG on the right side. IK this has nothing to do with the retouch, but the picture has a claustrophobic feeling to me. Keep it up and show us more!

Thanks guys. Very good comments :)

I like what you did Tom, but I think there's a tad too much brownish overall hue for my taste. Still looks better though. I like my fair skin and I look too tan in that, hehe.

It's funny that you commented on liking pink / fair skin. I, and everyone in my family are also *very* fair skinned, and I also love that look.

However, after years of having the majority of my photographic subjects be not of northern European extraction, and then being bombarded with advertisements in malls, TV shows and other forms of commercial photography in which the skin tones of almost every model have been brought to a least common denominator yellowish hue, my default is to also give subjects that I have not seen in person a standard-issue yellow/orange/ tanned look. Anyway, you have my apologies!

Cheers,

Tom M

Back