What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trying Retouch Again

Crotale

Power User
Where to begin. As already noted by the others, your selections need much refinement.

Here are a few tips when applying makeup in your Photoshop projects:

1. Never use hard edges, not even on lipstick.
2. Always use the layer blend functions in the Layer Style toolset to refine the makeup overlays. Blend If is your friend.
3. Softening skin and lighting on females is a normal move, but be careful of over-applying these techniques. Too much and you lose the depth and shape of the subject's facial features.

Another tactic I take to all my work is to never use a filter or plug-in full force. Instead of a single layer full force effect, try applying the effect sparingly and over many layers, gradually building in the total effect you seek. This minimizes the negative effects of many filter/plugin applications that tend to ruin an image or cause you extra unnecessary work.

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Thank you, Please look at my latest posts Retouch Attempt II and III.
I already know this one sucks.
Where to begin. As already noted by the others, your selections need much refinement.

Here are a few tips when applying makeup in your Photoshop projects:

1. Never use hard edges, not even on lipstick.
2. Always use the layer blend functions in the Layer Style toolset to refine the makeup overlays. Blend If is your friend.
3. Softening skin and lighting on females is a normal move, but be careful of over-applying these techniques. Too much and you lose the depth and shape of the subject's facial features.

Another tactic I take to all my work is to never use a filter or plug-in full force. Instead of a single layer full force effect, try applying the effect sparingly and over many layers, gradually building in the total effect you seek. This minimizes the negative effects of many filter/plugin applications that tend to ruin an image or cause you extra unnecessary work.