What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pretty 60 year old woman

Very nicely done chris...

You've taking 10 years off of her and looks really natural.

Good job.

Good job Chris! I like it.

I've been staring at your tweaked version of this image, and just couldn't decide if I would change anything if it was my own shot. I love the degree of skin smoothing / retouching that you did. However, when I look at it on my hardware calibrated NEC monitor, the shadows on her face, her hair, and the background look too dark, and overall it looks just a tad too cool, and perhaps a bit undersaturated. However, when I look at it on my iPhone and iPad, the dark tones look reasonable, but the saturation still looks a bit low. In addition, it looks to me like there is a bit of geometric and keystoning distortion, as if, perhaps, taken on a small camera.

Anyway, being the way I am, I just couldn't resist tweaking your version a bit more in the ways suggested in the previous paragraph.

I also added a bit more lipstick + a bit of NIK's Glamor Glow. I did nothing directly to her skin texture, but brightening up the dark tones inadvertently made her skin even smoother -- perhaps it's now too smooth, as if I took too many years off her.

Regard my version as just a little trial sketch of an approach that you can throw in the trashcan, but I'd love to know what you (and perhaps the model) think -- too much? too stylized?

T

Attachments

• Maya_Beauty_Final1200-tjm01__full_rez-acr-ps01a-02_700px_hi_borders-Copy.jpg
    Maya_Beauty_Final1200-tjm01__full_rez-acr-ps01a-02_700px_hi_borders-Copy.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 87
Thanks Tom for your comment...always much appreciated.

I know the "model" very well, and I made her 10 years younger. You made her 20 years younger, still looking natural and all. Sorry Tom, but for my taste it's too much now.

You are quite welcome, Chris, and thanks for your candid appraisal that I took off too many years.

I find that (realistic) portrait retouching to be one of the most challenging and rewarding uses of PS. I always struggle with the question of "when to stop". In fact, if it's a "real" retouch job, I often will have my wife look at what I've done and give me her opinion on such issues. She is almost always right about what the subject will want, particularly if it's a woman.

The interesting thing in this case was that, as I said, I did absolutely nothing to directly smooth our your subject's skin, remove more imperfections, etc. I did however lower the contrast, re-light the face a bit with some dodging and burning, and even out the hue and saturation variations a bit with the Glamor Glow filter. Yet, in spite of doing what I would consider so little, I "accidentally" wound up taking more years than intended off of her, as we both noted.

This reinforces the need to be constantly evaluating one's progress as one works through these projects. Again, thanks for posting that fine portrait, letting me experiment with it, and evaluating what I've done.

Warmest regards,

Tom

Yep, as all said above, well done, subtle. I'll call you when I need my face lift done!

I didn't really notice the blue cast, but it does look a bit cool to me too. OTOH, as Tom said, to paraphrase, the subtlelty is lost in the glamour glow makeover. Definitely too smooth.

all of this work is just amazing. wow..you guys are awesome..I am just a music artist on here as a first time trying to get someone to add text to a damn picture and its like pulling teeth,. However, i just decided to look at some of the work on these threads. THIS LOOKS GREAT TO SAY THE ABSOLUTE LEAST!! Good stuff!

all of this work is just amazing. wow..you guys are awesome..I am just a music artist on here as a first time trying to get someone to add text to a damn picture and its like pulling teeth,. However, i just decided to look at some of the work on these threads. THIS LOOKS GREAT TO SAY THE ABSOLUTE LEAST!! Good stuff!

Thanks for your comment Cash, always much appreciated. Keep on trying, don't give up...lots of fun here in the forum and good people who can help you.

Back