What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photo restoration

DisturbedShifty

I did this a few years back for my ex-girlfriend. Her Father passed away and we needed baby pictures. When they brought this one out I volunteered to fix it for them. I actually did this image twice. Once on my own and a second time in a non credit college course.

432301_10150708645345972_486824354_n.jpg

thats awesome id love a tutorial on this. im sure we have old photos that could use restoration.
Thank you. To be honest it was mostly the clone tool. You just have to adjust the flow of the tool to get some of the softer tones.

My graphic design teacher told me I did a really good job. But that I should have used multiple layers when correcting it. And that I need to learn how to do correct color correction. But for being self taught she was impressed.

not sure if you need the before and after text i think we can tell lol
True enough. But I did it because not everyone on Facebook is to bright. You know? ;)

correct color correction? whats wrong with the colors they look spot on...
Not entirely sure. But she sure seemed to know I didn't bother with any color correction. But it's all good. She at least accepted that I am good at Photoshop for someone who is self taught. And that was after being told, in a VERY subtle and condescending way, that I wasn't good in Photoshop. So just proving her wrong was good enough for me. Even if there were pointers to be had.

OP: "...And that I need to learn how to do correct color correction...."

CJ105: "...correct color correction? whats wrong with the colors they look spot on..."

The colors in old photos often fade. The colors in hand colored ones like this often can be improved. I suspect that what the instructor was getting at was that because this is such a common problem, you should get some experience doing this, not just limiting yourself to fixing cracks, replacing missing areas, etc. The process is sometimes called re-coloring, colorizing, or some similar term.

Here's a old thread in which some of us added color to an old photo, but didn't pay much attention to the cracks, kinda the opposite of what you did with this example.

T

PS - If you are interested, there are lots of old threads on this topic on photoshopgurus.com.

OP: "...And that I need to learn how to do correct color correction...."

CJ105: "...correct color correction? whats wrong with the colors they look spot on..."

The colors in old photos often fade. The colors in hand colored ones like this often can be improved. I suspect that what the instructor was getting at was that because this is such a common problem, you should get some experience doing this, not just limiting yourself to fixing cracks, replacing missing areas, etc. The process is sometimes called re-coloring, colorizing, or some similar term.

Here's a old thread in which some of us added color to an old photo, but didn't pay much attention to the cracks, kinda the opposite of what you did with this example.

T

PS - If you are interested, there are lots of old threads on this topic on photoshopgurus.com.

That is what I plan on doing. She said we will learn that in Photoshop I next semester. So I will definitely get some practice in the near future.

Nice restoration .How many courses did you take to get to this level?

I took one non-credit college course last year. But i had already learned how to do photo restoration on my own. I learned a few things, but I actually ended up helping tech the rest of the class.

And I just started school this past semester. The teacher is going to allow me to test out of Photoshop 101 because I am already where I need to be to move on in the program. But I had been using Photoshop for ten years already when I went back to school. Everything Photoshop wise has been self taught up to this point.

Back