What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sunset

hershy314

Guru
A friend of mine back home is taking a photography class, which oddly enough something I suggested she did a few months ago. She took a few sunset photos and I thought she did well. 3 of the 4 photos really got my attention. This is one of them. I took the photo and removed the power lines and adjusted the levels, plus added a purple/orange gradient set to soft light and lower the opacity a bit.

Untitled-1.jpg

hershy314

Guru
Thanks. Didn't think it was going to turn out that good. The power lines and poles on the right were easy, but on the left it was little more challenging. I think for the left side I used 3 different tools to get the job done. I used the clone stamp tool, healing brush and the patch tool.

Spectrum

I think you missed the bottom of the first power pole. Its still in the after version, other than that, its good.

iDad

Guru
Very nice but what I see on the bigger image is along the tree line you inadvertently pulled some of the darker pixels into the skyline that kind of stood out to me but otherwise I like it. I think maybe grabbing an area of the image on the tree line and skyline copy it and pasted over where the darker pixels are blurred out and dragged into the sky.

edit: I think the post above addressed that I'm slow, what can I say

Tom Mann

Guru
You might also want to think about alternate cropping, adding some local (tonal) contrast, and not limiting yourself to what you have already done so well.

T

hershy314

Guru
There is only so much I can do with this image. To me it seems it was taken with a camera phone, cause of the low resolution it has. I don't have a real camera anymore to compare too. I don't know what kind of camera my friend used, she wont even tell me for what ever reason. Sure if I take more time I might be able to do a slightly better job, but not worth it.

Tom Mann

Guru
@JohnD - As almost anyone on PSG can verify, I have a reputation as quite a critical viewer / reviewer. However, I try to take into account the fact that many (most?) tweak jobs posted on PSG are done to illustrate a specific, often simple point, not to achieve perfection. As Hershey pointed out, there are limitations on one's time, limitations imposed by the quality of the starting image, limitations imposed by the necessity for tact and reasonable expectations when dealing with someone who may have less experience in PS, etc.

In this case, of course, if a highly skilled photoshop artist were paid to bring this image up to a high standard, there are lots of things that could be improved, however, from Hershey's initial description, it sounded like the main purpose of it was simply to show his friend the sorts of things that could be done with PS, not to prepare it for publication in National Geo, or to be hung in a high end gallery. Accordingly, if I want to make a suggestion on such an image, it wouldn't be to criticize what appear to be JPG compression artifacts left over from the likely high compression / noise reduction baked into the image by the camera, but aspects of the image that might catch the eye of a casual viewer (ie, viewing it at the posted size). In this case, I felt that a gentle suggestion about composition or other global aspects would likely be more helpful.

Just my$0.02,

Tom M

hershy314

Guru
I found this this photo to be well taken and just wanted to see if I could remove the power lines to clean it up. To me the power lines were kind of a distraction. If I was to do something like this that I wanted to be published or whatever, I would of zoomed in as far as possible to remove any imperfections that I could. Also I wouldn't of saved it as a Jpeg file, probably would of saved it as a TIFF file or something. This was really just an exercise, nothing more.

iDad

Guru
That's what it's all about Hershy..(just an exercise).... you've shown better we know you're better, it seems like we all want Spend our two cents lately. Occasionally we even get the flamboyant and generous ones looking to spend three pennies :thumbsup:

hershy314

Guru
That's what it's all about Hershy..(just an exercise).... you've shown better we know you're better, it seems like we all want Spend our two cents lately. Occasionally we even get the flamboyant and generous ones looking to spend three pennies :thumbsup:

I'm only as good as what I have to work with lol. I honestly think if that had been a higher resolution image it would of turned out better. Course I did think I could do a better job with this image than I did.