What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black and white to color, show your skills!

Everyone is invited to practise on this Black and white drawing and show a color version here. Have fun!

Lion for coloring.jpg

iDad

Guru
I'll play! kind of quick but hey............it's playtime ;)
Lion-for-coloring.png

ibclare

Queen Bee
Hi chris. I tried it too. And, serendipity! I discovered something that could really help in making illustration type colorizations. I'm sure others already know but it was a complete surprise for me. I made all my layers of color and blended them. Wasn't quite satisfied . . . Anyway, grouped the lioness, the lion, etc. I accidentally changed the blend mode on the group to multiply. What a difference. It was the missing link! Not sayin' that the results are great, but it was fun and instructional. Thanks for the challenge.

lionNlioness.jpg

oops, left some dark color on lioness's knee . . . might fix it later.

Very nice job Clare...I like it...though the color of the lioness looks a bit yellowish.
And as you mentioned, the layers for coloring have to be on "multiply".

PseFrank

I know I'm late on parade. But didn't do it until this morning.
Coloured-lions.jpg

Still not sure about this...but I have to do other stuff now.
Coloured-lions-2.jpg

Last edited:
Frank, there is no time limit here. You can work some more on your image if you like, and post an update. Maybe add some highlights to the animals?

iDad

Guru
Thought I'd give it another go....Who did the black and white sketch?
before-after.png

Thought I'd give it another go....Who did the black and white sketch?
View attachment 38989

There is a museum of local history in Zürich. Over the last weekend I had the chance to take part of an exhibition in those rooms and show some of my "Digital Art". There was this rather old book from 1860 there among a lot of other antique stuff. Nobody disturbed me to take a photo of a couple of pages. So here is this nice image of the lion couple, but I don't know who did the drawing in those days. But there is a signature in the left hand corner.

Last edited:

iDad

Guru
There is a museum of local of history in Zürich. Over the last weekend I had the chance to take part of an exhibition in those rooms and show some of my "Digital Art". There was this rather old book from 1860 there among a lot of other antique stuff. Nobody disturbed me to take a photo of a couple of pages. So here is this nice image of the lion couple, but I don't know who did the drawing in those days. But there is a signature in the left hand corner.

I see that sig PW i believe

ibclare

Queen Bee
Thanks for asking that iDad. I was wondering too, but kept forgetting to ask. It's a really beautifully done illustration and was a lot of fun coloring.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Trivia -

That's a print of the LOWENPAAR (Lion Couple) a wood cut done in 1879 by Paul Fredreich Meyerheim (1842 - 1915). Despite the fact that he was a popular and well-known animalier artist in his own time, relatively little is known about his personal life today.

iDad

Guru
There's is no copyright on an image?

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Not on this one , I suppose. LiZad didn't come across any. Large images can be found in the net at a couple of art sites selling actual size prints. He can't find where the original artwork is kept or displayed.

He'll contact his reptilian relatives in Germany for more info.

iDad

Guru
I thought I would give it a Topaz Restyle_ slaparound...... for a bit:mrgreen:

restyle-slaparound.png

iDad

Guru
Nope, it's a pumkineating lioness it affects her pigmentation(it's an orange time of year):mrgreen: